Salvage those jeans!
You will need:
Jeans with a torn spot
Sturdy, solid-colored cotton fabric (we used canvas)
Black permanent marker
Black and red embroidery floss
Heavy-duty embroidery needle
1. Trim the hole to make a mouth shape and to remove any fraying.
2. Cut a piece of the cotton fabric large enough to fit the hole with a 1-inch margin all around. From the felt, cut eyes and a row of teeth that's 1 inch wider than the hole.
3. With the marker, draw a pupil on one felt eye. Knot a length of black floss, then insert your hand through the hole and sew the eye to the jeans by whipstitching around the edge. Trim and knot the floss inside the jeans. Stitch an X in the center of the second eye, then whipstitch the eye to the jeans.
4. Center the cotton fabric and felt teeth behind the hole and pin the layers to secure them.
5. With a knotted length of red floss, whipstitch around the edge of the mouth through all the layers.
Originally published in the April 2013 issue of FamilyFun