A Not-So-Scary Scarecrow
Scarecrows come in all shapes and sizes: They can be farmers, ballet dancers, fairies, or even construction workers. Here's how to make one of your own.
1. Start by coming up with your own scarecrow ideas by looking through your family's old clothes or costumes.
2. Stuff the old clothes with polyester filling or strips of fabric.
3. Loosely stitch the clothing together by hand using a needle and thread.
4. Cut a hole in the fabric, and slip a pole inside the clothing so your scarecrow can stand up.
5. For a creative twist, put a straw hat on top of your scarecrow's head, or use fruits, flowers, and vegetables (garden fare!) to make an expressive face.
6. Stand your designer scarecrow in a bed of flowers, and enjoy!