New Contributor
jbrooket
Re: Midwife?

I've had two experiences with midwives so far. One really good! And one really bad! The first one was when I was having our first child(who is now 2 and 1/2). We were seeing an OB but I decided to call around and find a local midwife to maybe assist in the birth. I had Group B Strep(GBS). I told her about it and she made it out like it was "no big deal" and that "you don't need antibiotics". Granted, I think there are a few things you can do to naturally destroy GBS, like taking probiotics and eating healthy cultured foods like yogurt and milk kefir...but seriously? No big deal? I was positive for GBS and due in less than a month...unless I could retest and get a negative, I felt like it was a big deal. Needless to say, that was the only conversation that I had with her. Not just because of the GBS thing, but she made me feel really uneducated and like I didn't know what I wanted for myself. Kind of demeaning even because this was my first rodeo.

My 2nd experience is with the baby we are having now. And it's really awesome! I'm 23 weeks along and we are currently seeing a midwife. The hospital we are delivering at has an OB office in the hospital. There are two main OBs and midwives that assist. Unless this pregnancy becomes high risk, we see our favorite midwife(Megan) for each doctor visit and she will also be delivering our baby in the hospital. But the awesome part is, if anything goes wrong, we are already in a hospital with an NICU and an OB is right down the hall in case our midwife needs help. Honestly though, our midwife so far has been very knowledgeable, I don't see a difference between her and our previous OB, and she's much more personable(and so are all the other midwives we've met with this pregnancy). She's also been very encouraging for natural birth and I don't feel like I'm just another patient or number. 

I think midwives are great. Just like I think doctors are great. I will probably choose a midwife over a doctor at this point, just because of my personal experiences but there are bad doctors just like there are bad midwives. Do your research online. Ask friends about their experiences with their doctors/midwives. Start "shopping" for OBs and midwives early on or even before pregnancy so that you can find who you want to stick with early on.