New Contributor
heckert.samantha
Re: Midwife?

Hello,

I used a midwife, and it was certainly a good decision for me. Before researching childbirth in America, I had no idea that the people who normally attend births were essentially surgeons, or people who specialized in complicated pregnancies, etc. I didn't know midwives were in hospitals and are the people who work best with women who are having a normal pregnancy. (By normal I simply mean uncomplicated and generally healthy.)

I did not have any complications, and I was healthy throughout my pregnancy. I had very minimal interventions, and I had a great birthing experience in a hospital because I chose to labor with a midwife. There were a lot of factors that went into that, but she listened to my requests and followed them 100%. I didn't ask for anything crazy--I just wanted to request pain medication once I was ready instead of having someone ask me if I wanted it, I wanted delayed cord clamping, and I wanted the lights dimmed. (She left them off and used a flashlight when I pushed! It was great.) I'm sure there are OBs out there who would have done the same, but I felt immense support from her. For example, there was a time when I had to be seen by a male OB because she wasn't in the office that day. He came in with a student and told me they were going to check my cervix. I said, "Oh, that's okay, you don't need to do that. I don't really want that." He told me it was his routine procedure. I should have rebuttled, but my pants were down, and I felt peer pressure because the student (who I didn't even know was going to be there) was looking at me along with him. That wouldn't have happened with my CNM.

Anyway, I'm obviously pro-midwife. I think they're great in our hospitals, and I wish our country had more of them! 

wahm, writer, dance and cheer coach
lover of scarves, cuddly kittens, and coffee

find me: www.samanthanicholeblog.blogspot.com