Occasional Contributor
Annabel_52598
Weight gain & self-esteem

Okay. I've lost about 35 pounds in the 9 months prior to finding out I was pregnant. Now that I'm pregnant, I'm having a really hard time wrapping my mind around the idea of weight gain being a good thing. I know that at my current weight I should plan to gain 15-25 pounds, and it should be pretty easy to shed that after the baby comes. I'm just concerned about how my self-esteem is going to handle it. Anyone with similar issues now or in the past?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
N/A
cwwinters1013
Re: Weight gain & self-esteem

when you find out please let me know :smileyhappy: im 10 weeks pregnant and worry about the same thing! i had been told i couldnt have kids about 6-7 years ago, i was overweight, had endo and possible polycysitc ovarian. a few weeks after i was told that we found out about being able to adopt, my now 6 year old girl (we were at the hospital when she was born).  i never revisited the polycystic and did not procede with any action to do with fertility, since we were going to have our girl.  i had gastric bypass in oct of 08. i lost 100lbs by january! before my surgery they said SOME people who had the surgery and were told they couldnt have kids prior, ended up being able to have kids... i became very ill for about a year and a half. i got down to 101lbs and they told me i could have died.  i had a feeding tube for 6 months trying to gain 20 lbs and after taking out the feeing tube. at my lowest that made my weight loss total of 173 lbs!! (yeah i was 274 when i had my surgery). i ended up going thru a divorce in 2010 and am now remarried but still did not think i could ever get pregnant.  i now am up to about 145ish and that is where i usually stay. i had been on birth control for my endo prior to getting married, and decided to go off of it in oct (when we got married) last year.  i am struggling with gaining weight. before finding out i was pregnant i would still get sick almost every day! i took phenagrean 3-4 times a day, and now they have changed it to zofran and i take it every 3-4 hours. i still get sick. i am 10 weeks pregnant and last time i weighed i had not gained any weight at all... a little part of me was glad (im sad to say) but i know im going to gain and i need to for the baby, im just very nervous. im nervous about it anyway, seeing as how i didnt think i could even get pregnant!!! im trying to eat, but struggle. i in no way have EVER been anorexic or bulemic or anything like that, i just got very ill!!! i still have very low self esteem and am anxious about what all is to come, before and after the baby is here.... so if anyone has been thru anything like this, i could really use your advice!!! thanks so much!! :smileyhappy:

Occasional Contributor
jdavis36446935
Annabel, I went thru very similar weight loss, we tried to get pregnant for over a year & when that didn't work I decided to lose some weight, we were going to be getting married so i figured no time like the present to do it. I lost 40 pounds over the coarse of about 3 months with dr supervision. We are now just about 18 weeks pregnant & I am very insecure about my shape... I feel bloated and fat all the time, although my fiancé tells me it's just the baby. I'm concerned about gaining to much weight. So I'm right there with you..
Posted from Apple iPhone
ModChristine

I totally understand.  I think if you can wrap your mind around the fact that gaining weight while pregnant is actually a good thing compared to gaining weight any other time then you'll be fine.  Also, since you are so aware of it, you will probably get the weight off again after baby is born or at a point when you are ready to. :smileywink:

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Super Contributor
alix_michelle
I'm self conscious about it too. I grew up as the chunky one in the family. I finally slimmed down about 4 years ago when I joined the Air Force. Then I got into a car accident and haven't really been able to do upper body exercises. I had shoulder surgery in March and that made working out even more difficult. Now I'm almost 8 weeks pregnant and feel like the more I eat the fatter I feel. I don't like it but my husband says that I'm not fat and it doesn't look like I've gained anything. I've gained almost 10 pounds since I found out I was pregnant. I know it's all in my head I just don't know how to get over it. Especially after one of my co-workers has already called me fat since I can't button my normal work pants. To me it looks like I'm already showing a little bit...but that could just be me and wishful thinking! Alix
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers