Occasional Contributor
pharmerlinda
Weakness in my legs

Hi I am 30 weeks pregnant with  my first baby. For the past month or so I have been feeling weakness in both of my legs, and my balance is not so great anymore. These symptoms came on suddenly one day, so I don't think it's from gradual weight gain. I am wondering if I can have a compressed motor nerve in my spine. Has anyone else experienced weakness in their legs?  I heard from a friend about a pregnant woman who actually became paralyzed and unable to walk which lasted for 1 month after giving birth. My OB has not heard of anyone else with my symptoms. 

Contributor
RebCMac
Re: Weakness in my legs

I know it's been a few weeks since you posted this, but could it possibly be a sciatic nerve problem?  I know when it gets compressed (which is very common in pregnancy) it can cause a sharp pain in your bottom and into your legs; but it can also cause numbness.  I've never heard of anyone becoming paralyzed during pregnancy though... I would expect that was from some other underlying problem that was just compounded by the pregnancy.

Occasional Contributor
pharmerlinda
Re: Weakness in my legs

Hi RebCMac

Thanks for your helpful comments. I am now 33 weeks pregnant, and the weakness in my legs is still persistant. However, I think it is related to my Braxton Hicks contractions. I have been getting BH constantly throughout the day and it seems to be contributing or possibly causing the weakness in my legs.  I don't have any back pain however, so I don't think I have sciatica. I have seen an MD who specializes in rehabilitation pain management of the spine, and he has not seen anyone else with my symptoms either. He recommended that I take it easy until I deliver the baby, then come back to see him if my symptoms persist after delivery. Thanks again for your concern.