Occasional Contributor
southerngirl39
Amnio?

Hi--I literally turned 39 just before getting prego...........all my doctor talks about is 'advanced gestational age' and blah blah blah. I have anxiety ANYWAY.........and being prego w/ my first child makes me have it even more, so hearing her constantly spout how old I am is REALLY getting on my nerves.........

Anyway.........more to the point.............I am going to do all the testing for birth defects and such, but I think just the blood tests. Supposedly they are 99% accurate while the amnio is 100%.  HOWEVER, I've been reading about the risk of "the M word" with the amnio............and for me, I'm thinking it's just not worth it, just to have 1% more "certainty." 

That being said, due to age, I've read the numbers are all skewed anyway, and they give you a 1/20 chance if you're 39 (according to some ladies I work with who were "advanced maternal age"--older than 35, gasp!--when they had babies), and their babies are completely fine.  They said they really skew the numbers and give alot of false positives in those blood tests, just because of age, before even taking them it's something like 1/50?  Then it gets skewed more from there........

My point is...............I think the anxiety it's causing is worse than knowing that definitive extra 1% by doing the amnio, at least that's how I think so far............I have a few more weeks to decide, but I'm losing sleep over this decision.............and feel like maybe my doctor and alot of them, is/are unneccessarily pushing the amnio on me JUST BECAUSE I'm over 35. We haven't even done the dang blood tests yet!!!! I mean, if those come out okay, she better not push that amnio on me, and even if they come out 'possibly a risk,' I'm still thinking I won't do the amnio. I've read it pushes your risk for 'the M word' right back up to 5%. :smileysad:  

Just wondering what any other "advanced gestational age" moms out there are thinking as well..................

Blessings to all!!! :smileyhappy: