Occasional Contributor
southerngirl39
Re: Amnio?

I am getting the maternity 21 too.  I saw her last week and cried and cried from all the fear she has put in me as to what COULD go wrong.  I'm at 11 weeks now so the maternity 21 I'm going to get tomorrow and do all the blood stuff (I'm already so tired of giving blood--it's not alot of fun!!).

She STILL is pushing me to meet with a genetic counselor so I "fully understand."  She explained to me that the Maternity 21 is a SCREENING, but the amnio is a definite DIAGNOSIS.  

I told her I'm not going to "get rid" of my baby anyway just cause something COULD be wrong, so I still dont' see the point of the amnio.........

Either way........I still haven't really made up my mind yet other than I'm thinking MOST likely I'm not.........but my husband said IF the blood screenings (Mat 21) come out negative (which, I've heard most likely they WILL, because they SKEW them in an insane way if you're God forbid OVER 35), he would like me to do it if I can muster up the strength, just so we can be prepared for a baby with 'special needs' if that's the case.............. :smileysad:

I still don't want to do it, but I decided I will talk to the genetic counselor, with my husband present, and go from there. 

The best I can hope is that everything will be fine on the Mat21 screening, and therefore the amnio won't be needed anyway.............. (or won't be pushed on me by my doc, which is how I feel now.........that she is pushing it on me.......).

Anyway.........I just want to get past this point of 'anxiety' and ENJOY my pregnancy without all the worry...........

Best of luck to all...............................I'm going to be losing sleep with anxiety over the next few weeks...... :smileysad: