New Contributor
kaydanielle07
Self checking cervix for dilation

Hello, so I have a question about self-checking a cervix for dilation. I am 35 weeks pregnant with baby #2 and have never tried checking/examining my own cervix before. I am convinced that my little guy will be here early this time around and so out of curiosity I decided to try and check for dilation myself. I was careful about making sure my hands were clean and being VERY gentle. Anyway, my question is, is there a possibility that the cervical opening I feel is not dilation? I went in with two fingers and found my cervix fairly quickly. I was very soft but I couldn't find any opening at all. So I reached further back and found a wide slit towards the back of my cervix. The opening felt like a pair of lips and I could easily fit more than two fingers up to the knuckle. Is it possible that I am dilated or did I manage to find a weird pocket or something behind my cervix. Thanks!

Regular Contributor
HostTammy
Re: Self checking cervix for dilation

Hi There,

I have a feeling you are ready to see this baby and can hardly wait delivery. I know you were gentle and clean, but this is something best left to your doctor.

If you call the doctor and share your concerns, they may be able to get you in to check for you.

Be sure to come back and share a picture when baby arrives.

Tammy