Visitor
4587df5d8ef1sd65
Where Should My Newborn Sleep?
[ Edited ]

I'm struggling with what my newborn should sleep in the for first few months before we move her to the crib in her bedroom.  So far, I'm hearing these options: 1) use a bassinet, 2) a play yard with a bassinet or 3) just keep the crib in our room at first.  This is my first child and I feel completely clueless.  I've tried to research this a bit and have found that it is recommended that we keep the baby in our room at first, but I can't find any suggestions on what type of bed will be the best for her.  I sort of hate to spend the money (or even register for) for a bassinet because I've heard that it isn't used for very long.  It sort of seems like a waste of money since there are other options.  I don't know if a play yard is safe.  Some play yards advertise a "full bassinet" where the bottom sort of looks raised and I've seen some that have a separate bassinet part that comes with the play yard.  So far, what we've looked at as far as play yards, these option just don't look very sturdy.  <I know, new parent and I'm probably over analyzing everything!>  We have talked about putting her crib in our room to start with, but when we are ready to move it, we'll have to take it apart to get it through the door.  This is completely doable, we're just being a little lazy about it.  :-)  What have you experienced Mom's done in the past and how has that option worked out for you?  I'm open to all suggestions expect putting her in the bed with us.  I have a friend who did this and they had a tragic accident that ended up with the baby passing.

Regular Contributor
cassie186
Re: Where Should My Newborn Sleep?

I did a bassinet with both my other girls. They were both out of it by the 3 month mark because they were bigger and had already doubled their birth weight (weight limit on most is 15 lbs). But since you don't use it very long you can keep using it. However we also got a rock and play sleeper for upstairs since we have two stories since you can't really carry a bassinet up and down the stairs, and we're getting rid of the bassinet and just using that this time. It worked way better when DD2 was sick with a cold and has a higher weight/ age limit so you can get more use out of it. It also folds up and is super light and easy to carry around and store out of the way when you aren't using it and the recline makes it good for refluxy babies. 

We're also going to use a pack and play in the laundry room since DD2 is still going to be in a crib for at least 6 more months (probably longer than that if she doesn't climb out) but ours doesn't have a bassinet. The bassinets on them that are the full size look flimsy and they do sort of sway a little bit, but they are pretty solid when you have them on right. They also only have a 15 lb weight limit on them but definitely do the trick. I had someone give me one but it was my barn solution for DD1 and I'm sure it's probably mildewed now.

New Contributor
BabyLuvsLucy
With my daughter we were able to borrow a bassinet from my cousin that worked great, but it didn't get used very long so I wouldn't have bought one. With my son, we put him in our pack n' play in the bassinet insert. We were never concerned about the sturdiness because we already trusted the pack n' play with my daughter (though we had never used the bassinet part with her). Honestly, I would recommend the pack n' play because you will get MUCH use of it even after the baby is too big for the bassinet part. We only kept our son in it for the first 6-8 weeks so he wasn't able to move around much so safety in that aspect wasn't an issue, then we moved him to his crib in his room. It's all personal preference, but don't get too overwhelmed by it. Once you have your second baby you will think "why was I so paranoid about everything?!" LOL
Posted from Apple iPad
New Contributor
jbrooket

We did a bassinet for our first and it was very convenient to have them at bedside for quick feedings and diaper changes in the middle of the night.

This time we are doing a "cosleeper" by Arm's Reach which is basically a pack and play bassinet type thing that connects to the side of the bed, that allows easier access to baby. 

Occasional Visitor
crystal.meelow
I use a bassinet still. In about a week I'll be setting up a crib in her own room. My Dr said it was safest to keep her in our room for the first few months since they eat so frequently. I also felt foot my comfort t that having her in our room was best. As far as which one you should use I think it's about what your most comfortable with. This was my first child and I like the bassinet because it's smaller.
Posted from Generic Android
Occasional Visitor
jlingo21
I used a pack and play with the bassinet attachment and loved it. Most also have a changing table which is super convienent for middle of the night changings. I also loved that I could fold it up and take it with me to hotels, grandma, etc... Good luck.
Posted from Android 4.0
New Contributor
wendyg8173
I wish I had known about the rock and play sleeper before buying a bassinet. We have very refluxy twin boys who are 3 months old but preemies so they are only 7 lbs now. We have one crib set up in our room and also have a pack n' play in the living room. Honestly, because my boys are so refluxy they spend most of their time either being held upright by one of us or in their bouncer and swing. I really wish I would've gotten the rock and play! I might still get one!
Posted from Apple iPhone