Community Manager
Emmys_Mom

Forum Guidelines

[ Edited ]

Our members are a diverse group of women and men who are in a wide range of life stages. Some are actively trying to have their first child, while others changed their last diaper years ago. We welcome all to our community and want you to have the best experience possible.

A few rules

1. Treat other community members with respect. Personal attacks are unacceptable.
  2. No soliciting, advertising or marketing is allowed.
  3. Posts are subject to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

The forums are a valuable resource to discuss pregnancy and parenting issues with your peers. Please remember that the advice you receive is not being given by a medical expert. Please always refer to your doctor or your child’s pediatrician or mental health expert for in-depth advice.

Browse through the boards and find conversations relevant to you. If you have any issues please reach out to our moderators, Tammy and Christine.

Please use plain text.
txtnt622

Please help - mean neighbors!! ):

Hey people - thanks for viewing my post.

I have a problem - As a separated dad, I have 2 kids, a boy (8) and a girl (7).  Me and their mother share custody, trading off during the summer.  When my kids are here practically all they want to do is lay up and watch cartoons all day.  Recently some new neighbors have moved in, complete with a pool, swingset and trampoline, none of which I have in my backyard.  Now my kids have gotten to the point when they come over they beg to go swimming with the neighbor's kids.  That's worked out for a few months, but last weekend I had a couple of other kids over here (with my kids) and I guess all 4 of them pestered the neighbors to let them swim.  A few nights ago I saw on Facebook the neighbor's post where she was complaining about my kids and saying that many times their family just wants to spent time amongst themselves (and other hurtful comments.)  Translation : they're tired of other kids asking to swim all the time", even though it's their youngest 2 year old daughter who invites my kids every time.  It was really hurtful to me to read that, and my immediate thought was to tell them where to shove their stupid swimming pool... however I didn't, and I sent her back a message saying "I'll just keep my kids away from your house from now on."  She replied and said , "4 was just overwhelming, one of them got bee stung, YOUR 2 KIDS are welcome, but not the relatives and friends."  

So what's the best way to handle it if it happened to you?  Would you just make your kids stay away from there for good, or let them continue to try and have a relationship with the neighbor kids?  My daughter especially likes to go over there sometimes while she's bored during the summer, and I'm torn between being insulted and just telling them never to go around there again, but my kids get so bored here and they have so much fun over there I want them to enjoy their time here.  PLEASE ADVISE!!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
HostTammy

Re: Forum Guidelines

I think these sort of situations happen to most of us who have kids.
Kids are kids! They see a pool and they have a one track mind. Because these are your neighbors and you will likely see them often:smileyhappy: just let them know you are sorry about what happened. Also explain that you were hurt by the post on Facebook and would be happy to talk to her in person about anything bothering her in the future.

Have a simple talk about boundaries with your kids and set a limit to how many times per week they can swim at the neighbors place. Share this with the neighbor so she knows that you are trying to respect her space.

We have a neighbor that have grandchildren over all the time. The kids always want to play at our house. I have often felt dumped on, like a babysitter that doesn't get paid. I finally said something to my neighbor. Our neighbor was very nice and understanding about how I felt. We now take turns watching the kids when they play in the front yard.

I know how tempting it can be to tell your neighbor to stick it where the sun doesn't shine, but being mad at someone takes too much energy. You might end up neighbors for a long time. Make nice with neighbors and move forward:smileyhappy:

Tammy
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
ModChristine

Great reminders about forum guidelines :smileywink:
~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
stephke10968

Height quiz results

[ Edited ]

As far as my son, the results are almost laughable.   I thought I would check it out with the facts I have written down in my baby book.  My children are now grown so I wanted to compare.  It gave a height of 4 foot 7 inches for my son.  He was always a runt to the point that in middle school he was a good foot shorter than all his friends.  Then in 9th grade he grew 9 inches in 4 months and another 3 inches a couple months later. He is now 6 feet tall.  I know this is not an exact science, but to be so far off?......I will be curious about my oldest granddaughter.  By the time she was two (she is 5 now) she was the size of a six year old.  One of her sisters is very petite.  She is 3 now and is not much larger than her 1 year old sister. Isn't life interesting!

Please use plain text.
ModChristine

Yep it's so interesting to do those quizzes and then see how tall the child really ends up being!

~ Christine ~
Please use plain text.
ModChristine

:smileyhappy:
~ Christine ~
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 1,152 members 188,970 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: