Occasional Visitor
chiarawindler

why does my 7 year old daughter want diapers again?

Why does my daughter (7) want to wear diapers?

Hey there,
So we went skiing over christmas in switzerland and due to a relatively small bladder and bed wetting issues in the past, we made our youngest daughter (7) wear pull-up pampersunder her skiing outfit, just for the case that she wouldn't be able to make it to the rest room and undress (all the layers you wear for skiing) as there where not that many restrooms in the whole resort. It all worked perfectly and she had just one accident.

Now back home she asked me recently if she maybe could wear a pull-up for the night, cause there were some spare ones. i was really puzzled and asked her why, she said "they were pretty comfy..."
I didn't agree with her wearing one, but a day later when i was away she asked my husband the same thing and he gave her one just before going to bed. I wasnt too happy about that... Anyways.... When she got up the next morning, the first thing i realized was that the diaper was soaking wet. I asked her if she peed on purpose and she said well she really was bursting and couldn't make it to the bathroom... i kind of didn't really believe her story..

So yesterday she asked if she could have another one, she said she really liked wearing one. i said no but my husband finally suggested she could wear one till the spare ones from the holidays are gone (which is about 5-6 more)

i couldnt say i was really ok with that compromise but anyways...
i just somehow have the feeling my husband takes that whole thing a lot easier than i..

so she could wear those pull-ups over the weekend. well, as she pees in them (on purpose) we agreed that she could change her pull-up on her own during the day if she needed a new one, i just told her i didnt want any wet clothes. and we told her that we werent going to buy any new ones, once these 5 or 6 are gone, then this whole things over...
so far everything seems to go well, when her friend came over yesterday she didn't wanna wear one, that would've been too embarassing probably...

well i don't know what to say... i guess i'll just be glad once the whole thing's over... to see my 7 year old daughter, who after quite a long process of getting her completely potty trained at the age of 3.5, with a soaking wet diaper, is just too weird somehow...
her telling me while saying good night to her in bed "mom i just peed in my diaper" seems just like its a bit too much for me to handle right now...

i'm just really confused... why does she do that? is that just some kind of phase she's going through?... that's not normal or have you heard of any similar cases? What have i done wrong?? :/

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jtracy4101

Re: why does my 7 year old daughter want diapers again?

Trust your instincts, if you don't feel comfortable letting your 7 year old wear a diaper/pull up, then don't! Perhaps ask your husband for a little support and a united front when it comes to setting rules and guidelines to her. As for getting her past this; if she wants to be a big girl when she's with friends, I say set up play date after play date to keep her in those underwear! Even just take her to the park or outside to walk around, anywhere she is too embarrassed to wear a diaper is fine. Praise her for wearing underwear like a big kid, and perhaps even consider offering rewards for waking up in the morning with clean sheets. If nighttime accidents are a frequent occurrence, you can also set an alarm half way through the night to wake her up to make a bathroom break, and attempt to make fluids less accessible in the hour or two before bed. I hope this was helpful, and good luck to you! Remember you and your husband are a team and must provide a united front to set rules and guidelines! :smileywink:
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sidekick7113

Mom, you did nothing wrong. I have driven cross country several times with my 3 daughters. Getting to a toilet just doesn't happen sometimes. So I brought pull ups that would fit my 2 oldest, 5 & 6, for emergencies. My middle, even tho wearing them, refused to use it and held it no matter how long. My oldest loved wearing them and relies on them every night (she had never been night trained, however, it's something we're still working with drs on). I didn't like her wearing them that much, but my mom would give in, even for a 2hr drive to the beach, without my knowledge. It became an attention thing for her as well as a way to get babied. You're hubby never should have given in, but now that the damage is done, you need to put your foot down and stay tough. It definitely sounds like she's being a little lazy and seeking attention. Good luck!
Posted from Android 4.3
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BabyLuvsLucy

Honestly, I'm going to say that the place that you went wrong was putting her in one for your skiing trip. I realize that you probably meant well, but it gave her the idea that it is okay for her to do so, not to mention it allowed her to be lazy about using the bathroom. The one "accident" that she had on your ski trip made her see what it was like to not have to get up, find a bathroom and use it. It really sounds like she is just being lazy about using the bathroom. Personally, I would throw the rest of the pull-ups away and tell her she has to wear her underwear. She knows how to use the bathroom like a big girl and at her age, there really isn't a reason for having day-time accidents. My husband and I communicate about everything, so we would talk about why it wasn't a good idea for her to wear them and I would honestly explain to him why I wasn't going to allow her to wear them. Sometimes parents have to compromise on how to raise their children, and I would tend to say this is one subject he has to allow you to handle because she really shouldn't be in a pull-up at her age. If you are going to allow her to continue to wear them until they are gone, then I would suggest not allowing her to change herself. Make her sit in a wet "diaper" for a bit and maybe she won't like it so much. Other than that, I'm not sure what else to say. Good luck!!!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jtracy4101

Please ignore the comments on the Facebook post, people who only want to judge you and tear you down are just plain mean and definitely wrong. I think you took a great step towards fixing your problem by just identifying it and asking for help. Don't ever get discouraged to reach out for help, just be sure to take in the good advice, and throw the bad comments in the trash! I've seen people in your position who give up to avoid confrontation and let the child win, I think it takes a great parent to seek advice and help. No one can raise a child alone! So put a smile on your face, take some positive steps, and put this nasty mess behind you!
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 383 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: