Occasional Visitor
cbrc1

potty training 2 year old daughter

I started potty training my daughter this week. The first 3 days i took her to the potty every 20 min,with no success. Ive noticed she actually would hold it and go in between breaks. the last 2 days i switched to every 40 min with no success. She actually embraces the whole idea but the problem is she just wont pee nor poop. I read books,sing and she ll stay sometimes like 10 min sitting there. Am i doing something wrong? does this mean she is not ready? Im considering letting her run butt naked and let the accidents do trick, then switching to underwear. Since i read that wearing Pull Ups just delays the learning. anyone have any suggestions???    thanks

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Emmasmom616

Re: potty training 2 year old daughter

I just started with my 26 month old and am using the "3 Day Potty Training" program (google it). I have seen great improvement today. It's all about giving them the control of understanding their body and when they HAVE to go instead of being forced to go when they don't feel the need. One day in and I'm very happy with it!! You'll hear yourself saying "tell me when you have to go" and big kids keep their underwear dry" in your sleep though!!! $24 for an e-book but you can usually find coupons online. They also have a help desk you can email if you're struggling with something and need advice. Good luck!!!
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ramirezjuliean1

I tried Lora Jansens potty training which is a three day method. I followed it to a tee with my two and half year old son, by day five he was withholding his urine and freaked out about sitting on the potty. After speaking to his doctor, to avoid him getting a UTI I put him back in diapers. Now he wants nothing to do with the toilet.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

We did the potty training bootcamp method. DD1 got to pick out her undies and her potty chairs (luckily she picked froggy potty which is the cheapest lol) and we told her that we weren't going to wear diapers during the day anymore. I stocked the house up on juice and pretzels, gummy treats, etc. She would get a couple gummy treats or a pretzel and also some juice every time she went on the potty. The first day we had lots of wet undies in the morning but we just changed them for nice dry ones and said "we'll try harder next time". By the afternoon she was peeing about every 20 minutes from all the juice she was drinking. The next day she was holding longer and longer and only had one or two accidents. And by the third day she was telling me when she needed to go potty instead of us watching her for the potty dance. Within a week she was holding every two hours or so. We had to keep up treats for number 2 for a very long time because she would withhold and was scared to poop at first for some reason.

I think it did help though that she would tell us she needed to pee and would pee on the toilet once or twice a day already. 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
HostTammy

Potty training can be frustrating for children as well as parents. Here are some great potty training ideas:

http://www.parents.com/toddlers-preschoolers/potty-training/basics/step-by-step-guide-to-potty-train...

http://www.parents.com/toddlers-preschoolers/potty-training/basics/potty-training-dos-and-donts/

Hope that helps:smileyhappy:

Tammy

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mollysara2

I just trained my 2 year old son with great success. Here's what we did. I started when he was about 22 months and had him sit on the potty before the bath. We also took a little bath toy that holds water and would squeeze it into the toliet saying "pee, pee, pee" so he would get the idea of what was happening. After a few weeks of doing that (and him peeing before getting in the bath) I would try to catch him before he would poop. He would go and hide so I would try to nicely grab him and have him sit on the potty right at the moment. If he resisted, I tried to distract him by reading books and making it fun for him to sit. At first, he would only pee on the potty and only when I would bring him. Then gradually he would start telling us when he had to poop and sometimes go on the potty.  Lastly, after about a month of that, we went cold turkey and put him in undies and brought him to the potty every 20 minutes. By then he knew the idea and understood. It only took a day and he was trained. But one very important thing, from the very beginning, every time he went on the potty (#1 or #2) he got to pick out a sticker and we cheered and gave high fives. So every time he would go, he would start talking about the sticker even before he would get off the potty. 

The whole ordeal can be so stressful and if you stress your kid out it can backfire and then you're back in diapers. At the beginning, my son would only pee on the potty (not poop) and I actually asked a Clinical Psychologist about it (who happens to be my Mom) what to do. You can read Dr. Rutherford's suggestions here: http://ConversationsWithMyMother.com/potty-training-the-child-who-wont-poop-on-the-potty/

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Rosebudbynicky

My 28 month boy is in the process I have a relaxed method I just ask him if he has to go he usually says no but if he's naked he goes on the potty it really was easy just haven't figured how to do it with the clothes on lol he's a more constipated bms so he like to hid in the all 4 position so unless it's a easy pop he won't go on potty
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 514 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: