Occasional Visitor
olipez75

Re: potty training 2 year old daughter

I have three kids, my oldest son was potty trained at 14 months with success in one week. My daughter was 16months and accident free during the night 18months. I used the same method with both.. Since month 8 I would take them with me to the restroom and sit them in their potty chair. I would tell them mommy is pipi or popo... And sometimes they would go. Big party when that happen.. when ready to start, I bought underwear, sit them first thing morning and after each meal... Sometimes inbetween but asking them all the time. Beverly sat them too long.. if nothing was coming out, oh well.....I carried my potty chair everywhere....movies, Walmart, park etc for a month or so...my son NEVER had an accident. My daughter maybe 4 times and because she would hold it longer to avoid stop playing....
Posted from HTC 9292
melissadonahue2

I tried the having her sit on the potty every 30 mins, but that didn't work. We had a potty seat in my parents living room when we first started, hoping that if she saw it she would want to go, that didnt work either. So one day I decided that when I sent her to daycare I was just gonna throw her into it; sent her in big girl panties and about 4 changes of clothes. She a few accidents that, but I haven't put a diaper on her since. She refused to put one on saying "Mommy diapers are yucky, I am a big girl, I wear big girl panties like you now!" When she is playing I have to ask her if she has to go and if she says no and she doing her squirmy potty dance, I tell her that if she peepees in her panties that she isn't allowed to play anymore, which works very well because she then will run into the bathroom and go all by herself. I recommend "throwing" them into the no diaper thing if nothing else seems to work. She didnt like having wet clothes on (and she doesn't like her clothes dirty, so I thought that is approach would work with her).
Posted from Apple iPhone
New Contributor
kriston0981

I started my little one at 18 months, she is 25 months old now and still doesn't tell me when she needs to use the potty. She sits there patiently and will use the potty, but does not tell me she needs to go, she pees her diaper or panties when she's wearing them.

How did I get her to use the potty? This is what I did, and she eventually caught on. As soon as she wakes up from sleep or a nap, put her on the potty. don't wait a minute or two, put her on AS SOON AS she wakes up. She might be a little cranky at first because she just woke up. Work through that, she will use the potty as soon as she wakes up, put her on there even if her diaper is wet. Turn on the water the first few times, once she uses it after sleep time, she will catch on. This worked for me, it worked for my mom when we were babies.

I hope this helps. Sometimes my daughter sits there for 10-15 minutes. I give her a book or her leappad for entertainment. The key to success, is when she does finally use it. scream and hollar in joy, praise her. Make it a big deal, she will like that and be willing to use it.

New Contributor
MaryLeAnn92

It really is when your child is ready to use the toilet. I started sitting my son on the toilet when he was two. And it was frustrating, especially since everyone seems to brag about there kid already potty trained or point out that your kid should be potty trained. Ignore them all! It's different for every kid. I went from sitting him down every hour for 15 mins to every 15 mins for 10 mins and he would not use it! Right after I'd get him off the toilet he pooped or peed in his pull ups. I tried that for about 3 months with no success. I then tried switching to training underwear since supposedly pull ups slows the process and still he wouldn't use the toilet. I let him pick his own potty seat, and I even bought one that goes on the toilet, I even bought Elmo's potty time video, and I bought 3 different potty training books. I would let him even stay in his dirty underwear till he was uncomfortably but no success. I started giving him timeouts, taking away tv time or toys and not a budge. I even tried giving him a small toy or lollipop if he used the toilet, that worked very little. I tried that for about 4 months. So I finally just switched him back to pull ups and sat him down occasionally on the toilet, still letting him sit there for about 10-15 mins, not making a big deal about it cause eventually I knew he'd learn. Then this past October he started telling me he had to go. He's only had two accidents, cause he gets so busy with playing he tells me the last minute he has to go. Other than that he's doing great. Don't drive yourself crazy trying to get them to use the toilet, just take it slow. I mean no kid grows up not knowing how to use the potty right?
Posted from Apple iPhone
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 6 members 694 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: