New Contributor
nellypoo57

how do you discipline a 2 1/2 year old in public especially when they are screaming and crying?

I

I have a 2 1/2 year old that screams and covers his ears while in public and sometimes at home. he is the only child and I try to play with him when I get home from work but sometimes I am too tired after cooking and cleaning. Also try to get Dad involved but he just yells at him and tell him to sit down or go play. what should I do?
Please use plain text.
ModChristine

Re: how do you discipline a 2 1/2 year old in public especially when they are screaming and crying?

Just a thought...is he screaming and covering his ears in public because he is overstimulated?  How does he do socially when he is around other children?

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

Re: how do you discipline a 2 1/2 year old in public especially when they are screaming and crying?

I went through a stage with my oldest around the same age where she would do the same thing. How I handled it depended on where we were at. At home I would usually ignore it if possible, if it was out of hand she'd do a time out to quiet down. At church, we'd take her out of the chapel until she was quiet. At the grocery store I'd usually start figuring out ways to entertain her so that she would stop entertaining herself. 

I think the big thing is figuring out why it's happening. DD1 did it completely out of boredom. Public restrooms were the worst because she would do it to hear herself echo.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nellypoo57

When he's at the daycare he's fine, when he gets home is when the whining and screaming starts and he is an only child
Posted from Generic Android
Please use plain text.
star060880

Sounds like he's trying to just get attention from you. Maybe at home when you first get in spend least 15 mins w him then go ahead and do what you need to do. For outside my daughter does this too. Haven't found a solution for that
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
chrismendiola6

At daycare there are rules that are established and everyone has to abide by them. At home, with two working parents, who are understandably tired at the end of the day and still have chores to do, he screams because it gets him the much desired attention. (I speak from personal experience.) forget the dishes for an hour, the laundry doesn't need to be folded right out the dryer (yeah, it wrinkles, but it's either that or your sanity. Lol.) make time when you get home to spend with him. A messy house over an unhappy child any day. Maybe go straight to the park for a quick sandwich and a push or two on the swings. He gets tired out,l and there are no dishes to wash. Dad needs to get involved too. Same sex parents are the most important role models for kids. Boys mimic dad and vise versa. If he's screaming to get his attentions, chances are that's where he's getting the way he expresses himself.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nicolemanglin

I have been trying to figure this out for months now. I have a 20 month old that has a sensory disorder. He hits his ears or covers his ears and screams for hours and hours.

He loves music so sometimes singing helps. He is very visiual so sometimes a tablet or video helps distract him. Usually there nothing much I can do but to leave the situation and go home. He gets overly stimulated or under stimulated in certain places and screams. He covers his ears because his own screaming is too loud for him.

My friends little boy does the same thing and she bought some ear protection at walmart. She said he will stop screaming because one, he can hear him self and two, it takes away that sense.

I hope this helps a little.

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 131 members 3,793 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: