New Contributor
hrswingler

Taking Children out in the Rain

Hi there! 

I am working on a project that involves creating a sensory space for young children and familys to play in the rain, is there any chance any parents could give me some information about taking your child out in the rain? 

It would really help me with my degree! 

The sorts of questions I need answers to are 

Do you often take your child out in the rain? 

What stops you taking your child to play outside in the rain? 

Would you use an area designed to become more active and attractive during the rain if it was in your local area? 

Any anyother anicdotal stories that you would like to share!! 

Thankyou so much in advance!! 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
maryelissa33

Re: Taking Children out in the Rain

Hi there!

First off I'd like to say good luck with your project and aquiring your degree!  :smileyhappy:  My daughter is 20 mths old and to be honest I don't take her out in the rain a lot.  I mean, if we have to go somewhere, like the store or something, we go, but not out to "play" in the rain.  I guess there is just that idea stuck in my head that taking them out in the rain can 'make them sick.'  I don't know. My husband also is super worried about that, so even when it's super cold or something, we try to stay in....hmmm....interesting topic for you to study though.  I would not be opposed to trying out something for 'fun in the rain day' or something. 

I hope this helps.  Can you post info on what you find out from other parents and your research?  I would love to hear about it.  Thank you!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
timegnelson

Hi! I live in the Tongass national rainforest, so we are always out playing in the rain :smileyhappy:. I lived in the lower 48 for a couple years and found the aversion to rain interesting.

The only time of the year we aren't as inclined to play in the rain is the middle of winter because it gets so cold. I think that a park or something centered on playing in the rain would be awesome in my community because rainy days are frequent here.

Don't know if that answers any of your questions!
Posted from Samsung SGH-I537
Please use plain text.
Contributor
firstschool01

There are certain rules of safety and security that you need to follow when you are taking out babies and children in rain. Rainy days are great fun days and a great excuse to sit in the tent and get to know each other better. You can talk, chat, play games, share stories. Kids love to splash in puddles and it's time to do things you would not normally have them doing.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
HostTammy

My kids are 10, 8 and 4. They all love to play in the rain but we don't get much around here.

Do you often take your child out in the rain? 

It did rain some this year and they did go and play in the back yard. I did not go with them. I think part of the fun is that they have me inside preparing for them to come in and dry off and get warm.

What stops you taking your child to play outside in the rain?

Nothing stops me from letting the kids play in the rain.

Would you use an area designed to become more active and attractive during the rain if it was in your local area?

I don't think I would take my kids to the park or a designated place to play in the rain because then I have to get them home wet and possible cold.

Hope that helps a little!

Tammy

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 16 members 6,958 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: