New Contributor
ssabin0327

Should I allow another parent to discipline my 4-year old?

Recently I was at my 4-year old son's t-ball practice when another parent went running towards him and yelled at him for knocking her child's hat off. I immediatly intervened and asked her what was going on. She told me what happened and I said " I saw them playing around with each other the whole practice and the next time there is an issue you should come to me and not approach my 4-year old." I then turned and started to walk away with my son. From acrossed the parking lot the other women yelled " I see where he gets it from you ( insert curse words)". I turned around and said " what is wrong with you we are at a t-ball practice". After that we left immediatley. My question is Should I have allowed her to discipline my son or was her reaction innappropriate? Also, should I make a complaint to the league commisioner or just leave it alone? I would love some other opinions on this.

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
ModChristine

Re: Should I allow another parent to discipline my 4-year old?

I've been a baseball Mom for 7 years now so I've experienced and seen a lot.  In my opinion, she was way out of line.  If she saw something that she didn't feel was right, the correct thing to do would have been to calmly come to you since you are his Mom and make you aware so you can handle it.  That was not her place to discipline your son and her actions after that just go to show what type personality she has.  As far as reporting her to the comissioner...how many practices/games have you had so far?  Is this a new team or have you been together this whole Spring season?

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ssabin0327

Thankyou for responding. This is only the third practice and there is almost a whole season ahead of us. I also know some other parents saw this happen and they were upset with her choice of words in front of their kids. I want my son to have a good experience and there is a good chance he will be playing on teams with this other child and going to school with him for many years to come so I am trying to avoid controversy but the situation really bothered me. Maybe I should make the coach aware of the situation so he can keep an eye on it? I spoke to my son and he said he was just playing around and wouldn't do it again so hopefully that will help.

Please use plain text.
ModChristine

I think talking to the coach might be best for now.  He can keep an eye on it.  If it continues to happen and you think her being there is negative for the other children, maybe a group of you can ask the coach to bring it to the attention of the comissioner. If she's like this in practice I'm afraid of how she will be in a game...

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Please use plain text.
Visitor
GraysonMom

Yes she shouldn't have yelled at your child, but did you say something to your child about his behavior? That was a teaching moment that that mom was out of line for how she treated him but he shouldn't have knocked the other kids hat off. If my child did that I would have corrected him before the other parent did. While T ball is supposed to be fun they are also there to learn and pay attention.
Posted from Motorola XT1080
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ssabin0327

I didn't see the incident when it happened but I did speak to my son once we were in the car. Part of the issue with how the other parent approached him was that it forced me to defend him from her as opposed to correcting his behavior. Under normal circumstances had she approached me and told me what happened I would have made him apologize to the other child and I would have addressed the situation immediatley but because of how she handled it I wasn't able to do that.

Posted from Microsoft Windows RT Tablet
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
jennyshaney

I think you were both wrong. I believe we should teach our children to respect all adults. What if she had yelled at your child for running into the road. You taught your child not to listen to other adults. She probably shouldn't have yelled but asked your son to please not do that. He was probably just playing and "maybe" took it too far which is why she should asked him with a please. She obviously responded in a terribly way and taught her children some awful things. How not to control your temper for one. You should have turned to your son and said exactly what she should have said "please don't knock her hat off." Then turned to the mom and said, "Please don't yell." In this you would have taught everyone a lesson. I would not tell the coach or the league. My raw grandfather told me once when I was older, "the more you stir sh*#, the more it stinks." Take a lesson from frozen and let it go. The woman may have had a really bad day and lost it that day. We all should spread compassion more. You will be teaching your children another lesson then. :smileyhappy: Happy Parenting.
Posted from Motorola XT1080
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 1,843 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: