New Contributor
aenyart

Potty training Relapse??....

At about 18 months with my daughter we did a weekend of potty training and it went great!  Started on a Friday and by Monday she was doing awesome!  #1 and #2 in the potty.  She did great for about 6 months after.  But we went on vacation and that threw her off, which was understandable.  Change in routine.  Then it was my busy work season. (taxes).  Then right when I think we are back on track, she is off again!!  I am at a loss...She does good some days with no accidents, says she has to go to the bathroom and everything.  But a day or so of that she has 2 days of 5-6 accidents.  She is in pull ups at night.  So maybe i'm not getting the pull up off quick enough in the morning...I'm not sure.  But I am a mommy in need of some advice.  My 2 1/2 year old has made me very frustrated.  Love her to death but I would like to consider her to be potty trained as I did 6 months ago.  Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

Re: Potty training Relapse??....

Since the potty training in one weekend worked, I would do another boot camp session.

I also think part of it might be the age. My 2 1/2 year old has gotten a little bad about letting us know when she needs to go potty lately (she'd rather keep playing and then all of a sudden she piddles on herself and tells us she needed to go). We talked with her about keeping her undies dry and I also just take her to the potty when I have to pee, about every two hours or so. We let her know how happy we are when she keeps her undies dry and that she is doing a good job. Since emphasizing how important dry undies are she has actually done way better.

Please use plain text.
adrianavermillion

Potty Training Relapse is possible especially when parents travel, however with a quick recap on where you are and where you want to get along with a good routine the child can follow you can get right back on track.

Follow me on Twitter (@potty_whisperer) or check me out at www.pottytrainingservices.com for more tips.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
christieproduct

Major Potty training relapse turned resistant!

I feel your frustration!  My 3 year old son was doing ok (rare #2 in potty but getting there)until we went on vacation.  We went to a camp where he for the first time did morning sessions for "little braves" away from us.  He did not like that we were not with him but we considered it dress rehearsal for his Pre-K class that started in 2 weeks.  Well that went badly.  He would pee for me but had a lot of accidents while with the group.  Oh and we had to pull him from Pre-K after 4 days of me going in to change him with an average 2-3 accidents a day.  They are holding a spot for him but it is not looking good.  We tried a bare bottom reboot weekend and he did ok but over the following week regressed again.  He has since become completely  reisistant.  The resistent behavior has escalated to him telling me not yet, don't change me and having a wrestling match to change him.  Sometimes I can find the right buzz words to get him to agree but it is a moving target.  He never really cared much that he was wet or pooped. So no he is back in pull ups full-time.  And we do not talk about the potty at all.  I say when I am going but according to all resistent advice I never ask him.  We have had the occasional pee just before bath time but zip otherwise.  At what point do we do the whole boot camp again or do I wait til he tells me?  I have to get him in to some pre-k somewhere else that will do changes. (expensive in Boston!) [Boy do I wish we lived in CT hwere PreK can no longer turn away kids because of potty training... is now considered discrimination... and I agree! ]  

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
StephanieP1984

Re: Major Potty training relapse turned resistant!

She is still very young, so accidents and relapses are to be expected. Our younger daughter is now 3-1/2, fully potty-trained for a bout 7 months, but accidents still happen on occasion. She had a little bit of a relapse when she started kindergarten, and sometimes, when she's in a new environment or very, very engrossed in playing, she might have an accident, which is normal. Don't stress and don't pressure. Again, potty-training at 18 months is extremely early!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
aenyart

Re: Major Potty training relapse turned resistant!

UPDATE:  We have gone away from asking her to go to the bathroom...What seems to be working is me asking if her undies are dry and clean...of course there are times when she says no...but it is getting better.. She has also went from us saying "go pee" to "go potty"  to now "go to the bathroom".  It is like she is finding a way to understand/be comfortable with it.  There is still a ways to go and in about 4 weeks it will get worse again due to baby #3's arrival..one step at a time..

Please use plain text.
ah_roderiques

We are in the same boat, christieproduct! Our 3 yr old son was doing great and loving our reward system for going potty. I had surgery which threw him a little off-and it all went downhill. Our prek is giving us a hard time as he approached 3 1/2, but he is very adamant about no more undies. We went back to pullups as things fell apart for him and the routine and rewards arent working anymore. We are at a loss! Sometimes he will do it when prompted, but otherwise-its all mess, all the time again. Our pediatrician isnt concerned at all, but his school is really pressuring us and him. Grrr!
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 272 members 26,399 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: