New Contributor
jsheehan116

Picky Eater- by picky I mean…..

My almost 4 year old son is beyond picky..... he even stumps his doctor.  He has never been very 'adventurous' with food, from 1-2 he ate mac and cheese and hot dogs like most kids, sometimes ravioli.  Then from 2-3 he stopped with the hot dogs and mac and cheese and it became grilled cheese, pizza and breaded chicken patty's/ nuggets and on occassion Chicken Parm.  Well now from 3-4 he still won't try anything new (no loner will eat the chicken parm though), no matter how fun we make it, or if we're eating it. When he was about 1 we started giving him carnation instant breakfast, because he wasn't getting all he needed from the food he DID eat, and would (I'm not joking) starve himself- literally if he didn't get the only foods on his "like" list. 

I have an almost 14 year old who has always loved fruits and veggies, as do I, so it's hard for me to understand why he won't even try anything- not even french fries and/or catsup!!!

So I am curious if there's anyone else out there who has had the same issue, but managed to find a way to expand their child's willingness to at least try, and maybe have some suggestions?   I think he'd be a much happier little man if he broadened his horizons a bit, so I'm game for trying new approaches.

*Before I get the 'stop the milk' posts... we tried that and even his Dr said not to as of right now- just had to put that out there.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
livsysjd

Re: Picky Eater- by picky I mean…..

I'm not trying to be rude, but what you started off offering in the start of his life is not really that good or healthy.  Your description is that of very higly processed foods ( inlcuding the carnation).  At this point, I would suggest what they call "monkey platters".  Create a plate that is filled with all kinds of different fruits, vegatables, nuts, some cheeses and some pickles.  Don't make a big deal out of it or even acknowledge it. Just make the plate and make sure it's out at all times.  Let him see you occassaionally snagging from it.  You can even put little mini lettuce wraps in this platter ( filled with peanut butter/raisins or whatever).  Don't force or give any great praise when he does eat something.  Kids can smell that a mile away.  See if he wants to help cook sometimes also.  Whatever you do, don't give up on the platters!  It will take some time to try things and for him to get used to it.  Try and minimize the highly processed foods in the home as well. Don't buy any extra highly processed foods, than what you already do and slowly try and cut much of it out.  FInd an alternative/healthier brand for a few of his favorite foods.  Just remember, the more attention you bring to any change- he wil notice.  Kids naturally fight what they feel is forced or what is given lots of attention.  You can also blend fruits and veggies together ( blender or juicer) and make into popsicles.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jsheehan116

[ Edited ]

I don't take that as rude :smileyhappy:  I asked for the input, afterall.  I re-read my original post and wasn't fully clear on all that he ate, it was basic "average" types of foods I was referring to, the typical kid cuisine so to speak.  I have tried something like the monkey platters before, and I definitely will try them more often, It's an awesome idea that I forget about :/  In the beginning he didn't eat like this though, he loves helping me cook, he just won't try any of it.  I made pureed fruit and veggies for his cereal and he ate cheerios, finger sized ravioli, (he still loves peanut butter and rice crackers), etc.  I think that alot of it is because he eats out with one of his grandmothers once a week and most of the food I mentioned is the majority of what is offered in those settings, but maybe I just don't try hard enough.  I hate his diet and I detest the carnation, but his Dr was the one who suggested it because of his obstinance with trying new things.  I sincerely appreciate the suggestions, anything helps right now.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
livsysjd

Oh good, I'm glad you didn't take it wrong. :smileyvery-happy:  It really is wild all the food phases kids can go through.  Including times when they seem to hardly eat at all.  That one always freaked me out. I think as long as you keep doing what your doing and always have a variety of foods avaidable, will your best bet. Maybe also depending on where you live, visiting local farms where you can pick your own stuff might be cool.  My kids grew up with a garden for the first 5 years of their life. I could not keep them out of it.  They just copied us and picked raw food and ate away.  This is no miracle answer by any means as kids do go through all kinds of phases, but at least cooking with him and having him help with picking out food items on many levels keeps him engaged with food on a positive level.  As long as he sees the healthy role modeling from you, he will most likely grow out of this picky stage. On a side note, sometimes I can't believe the advice dr.s will give when it comes to food.  lol  Carnation is so sweet and to start a very young child and their developing tastebuds on that is weird to me. If you ever get food advice like that again, check out a good health food store and ask some seasoned employees about an alternitive.  I'm not talking a suggestion of an arsenal of supplements either.  Often there are healthier substitues that will still meet the needs, but without all the sugar and other questionable ingrediants. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
rkdeclipse

That is a great idea with the Monkey Platters. I have a super picky eater!!! I can get him to eat any fruit and motzerella cheese, and some breakfeast foods but that is ir!! I load him up on the Naked Juices. I have not givien him one that he has not liked yet. Wish me luck with the platter!!

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 205 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: