Occasional Contributor
ybnmts

My kid's safety

Hello,

I'm Vybhav and I'm a stay at home dad. I'm particularly concerned/paranoid about my kid's safety when she's either travelling to school or her friend's house and I was thinking of implementing some sort of location tracking/parental control mechanism, atleast untill she turns 14-15.

I was wondering if I'm alone in the way I think? How do you deal with a situation like this? Let's say your kid's start going to school on the school bus and you'd like to ensure that he's left the school on time, on the right bus, travelling on the right route,etc. I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on this matter too.

If you have implemented any solutions? What are they and what are they missing?

Cheers,

Vybhav

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
HostTammy

Re: My kid's safety

Hi There and welcome to the community,

I totally understand where you are coming from. I sometimes wonder if I'm overly paranoid when it comes to my kids safety. Truth is, I don't want to take chances. I feel like there has to be a happy medium. I also know that there are some things that can be avoided when it comes to kids getting hurt.

My sister lets here son go all over the neighborhood, he is 9, almost 10 but he has been allowed to do this for a while. Just last week he and some neighborhood friends were allowed to go to the park on their own. One of the kids was skate boarding and fell and broke his jaw and lost a few teeth. There were no adults around so one kid had to ride his bike to get help. Maybe the accident couldn't have been avoided, but the lack of help in an emergency could have been.

The biggest thing that I find myself worring about is adult preditors. I hate that those thoughts are always floating around in my mind, but they are and because of that I always keep a tight leash on the kids. They have asked to take the bus to school, I don't let them. They ask to ride their bikes to school, I let them but I go with them and then meet them at the school for the ride home.

We don't do sleep overs....EVER! Just won't happen.

I find little ways to make them feel like they are more in control of their own life. I try to give them choices and options everyday. I pick my battles and remind them that I make choices based on safety.

By the way, my kids are 4,8 and 10. How old are yours?

Hope it helps to know you are not alone.

Tammy

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
ybnmts

Tammy, thanks for your response! 

It's definitely helpful to know that I'm not the only one paranoid about my kid's safety.

I have a daughter who's going to turn 10 in a few days. The next 6 years is going to be intense I guess :smileyhappy:

She's generally a good kid, but knowing the trouble that I got into when I was her age, I'm sure some of that made it down to her genetically . But this time, I'd like to be there for her when she needs help and not let her repeat some of the simple mistakes that I did.

Again, Thanks for your reply Tammy. You've a lovely bunch there and I wish you and your family the best of health and happiness.

- Vybhav

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
HostTammy

It is a pretty lovely bunch around here:smileyhappy:

10 myear old daughter, yes, I know the next few years will be intense. Keep her busy with sports and hobbies that she enjoys. My daughter is on the swim team, she swims three times a week and competes in swim meets. She loves it, keeps her out of trouble for now:smileyhappy:

Best wishes to you and yours as well!

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 17 members 2,130 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: