New Contributor
StephanieP1984

Re: My daughter hasn't started to talk, please help me find a way to get her to talk

Does your daughter have factors that may delay speaking? Our kids are bilingual. Our older daughter was just starting to talk a little at 2-years old when we moved to my home-country. New environment, new language, new everything, and she basically stopped talking, When she started kindergarted at 3 years old, her speech development just skyrocketed.

Even if there are no obvious factors, your daughter might just be shy or be a late talker. Mention it to the pediatrician at your 2-year appointment, but don't worry too much yet!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
cdavis243

Re: My daughter hasn't started to talk, please help me find a way to get her to talk

My daughter is 30 months and at 13 months she had zero words, no Mama, Dad, Hi, Bye....nothing.  We contacted early intervention at 13 months she had her first eval at almost 15 months and started speech therapy through them.  The therapist comes to our house and works with her.  Would also go to her daycare if she were in daycare.  There is no cost to us.  It's done thru our county public school system.  She now is on track for speech but they are working on her enunciation and pronunciation.  I don't recommend waiting.  If there is a problem, early intervention is key.  She may just be a late bloomer but since there are no medicines, and no pain, and no money from your part I don't see why a wait and see approach is good.  they will give you a ton of ways to help her.  If there is no problem than she'll just have fun playing with the therapist like my daughter does and you can withdraw her from the program. 

Please use plain text.
tmbravener

My daughter is 25 months. She doesn't use a whole lot of words either. She chatters constantly but rarely is there a understandable word in there. She can say "mommy" and "daddy" but only uses them when she is upset. She now uses "yes" and "watch" and after using the word "up" every time I pick her up for the last year I now have heard her say it once. She also occasionally will say the word "kitty" and "sissy" but other than that that's it. She has made improvement since her younger sister was born in September but she still has a ways to go. Her doctor has suggested that if she hasn't improved in a few months that we put her in speech therapy. But he also has said that she follows the pattern of speech when she chatters and that's a good sign. She just might need a little bit more time. I am personally of the belief that she will use more words when she is ready. I also think not being the "baby" any more is helping. She doesn't have mommy and daddy's undivided attention anymore so she has to figure out how to communicate with us to get what she wants, which she is doing.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
makidibon1

Hello, mine is 20 month+ old and yet to talk... I'm in the same situation. If this will make you feel better, my friend's kid didn't talk till 3 years old, so I'm not worried about it. I'm trying things everyday no matter what, though. She bubbles a lot, but not a single word. Everything is "Ma Ma" word, even to my husband, she calls him "Ma Ma". I was referred to a speech therapist, but it's sort of far, so I haven't been there yet. Make sure you verbalize the object when you interact, so I'm doing that everyday. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mandycandy22087

Yea, my daughter is now 2 (almost) and she says a few words buy my husband was a late talker so I guess she'll be fine.I guess I keep comparing her to my best friends daughter who was born 2 days before her. But her daughter is the youngest of 3 girls and this is my first child so maybe that has to do with something.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
brentleysmom.ah

My son is almost two and doesn't talk much. He learns words and then forgets. We also have other medical issues that are a factor. But if she is trying to communicate through actions I would not be to concerned. My son does not try and communicate or show me things and and we found out it is almost completely deaf. But every child is different. Maybe she just enjoys observing the conversations and will join when she is ready. I would just keep a close eye on her actions and see if she seams fo understand. If she seams confused a lot I would look at her hearing.
Posted from Samsung SCH-I747
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 2,092 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: