New Contributor
mandycandy22087

My daughter hasn't started to talk, please help me find a way to get her to talk

My daughter is 21 months old and she hasn't started talking yet, she doesn't say hi or bye. She's my first child and she's an only child at the moment so I have no clue on how to get her to say actual words and she also doesn't use silverware yet either. HELP!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
joydjoy54

Re: My daughter hasn't started to talk, please help me find a way to get her to talk

Mandy, you are not alone . One of my twin boy said his first word at 8 months and is quite some talker by age 2. But his brother didn't utter a word till they were 2. I tried seeking for help but the doctor friend of mine said there was nothing really wrong with him since he could hear perfectly and can sing his nursery rhymes. She believes he will do the main talking when he is ready. But just like every mum I do worry about him of cos. They will be 3 by the end of this month and am worried the talking progress is slow though he can now count up to 20 and recite the Alphabets but am still worried at his progress so I'm thinking of seeking a professional help just to be certain everything is ok. I think you should do same. Best of lucks honey.
Posted from Samsung GT-I9300
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

Re: My daughter hasn't started to talk, please help me find a way to get her to talk

I would bring it up to your doctor. She could be a late bloomer and start talking a TON in a few months (lots of kids do) but she might also need some extra help beyond what you can give her. Depending on your area, there are public options through the school districts (some districts and areas obviously have better funding/ programs) and if the doc puts a referral in for your kid they can go on the waitlist and go into ECEAP or other speech therapies, etc through and typically it's at NO cost to you. I have several friends who took this route- one kid just wasn't talking much and needed speech therapy, the other one has fairly significant delays/ aspergers. If your kid is a late bloomer and starts talking up a storm in a few months, you can always pull them off the waitlist, but if she still isn't talking you'll save yourself time having her put on the list sooner.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mandycandy22087

My husband told me he didn't start talking until he was 3 so maybe it's inherited? He told me that he was in speech therapy for stuttering and a lisp I wonder if her's is something like that or maybe she will talk when she wants to, I'll definately ask her ped.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
parkinsk2

I wouldn't worry at all. My son is 26mos and just started really talking. Before he turned 2 he hardly said any words except occasionally momma and do dog.
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
jrsiler

If you have concerens talk to your PCP about getting a speech or developmental evaluation done. My two boys 3 and 2 don't talk very much. the 2 year is now starting. We have them both in speech therapy and then a month ago I took Michael (3) to a speical needs school for testing to see if he coudl qualify there with them. He did and is starting to talk some but not much. He underestands what we say but can't form the words himself. He is also doing signs that we have had to learn meanings to.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Lynda_Way

Consult your doctor to confirm that it is biologically ok with the child and she is fit. Then I don’t think there is a reason to worry. Some child starts talking late, it’s not unusual. 

Pacific Preschool & Kindergarten is an administration running preschool in San Marcos, CA. We understand the needs of children, parents and staff as well.
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 1,029 members 120,540 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: