Occasional Contributor
JLG272009

My 4 year old son will not eat - almost anything, we have tried everything, every kind of food too

He is so finnicky and sometimes refuses to eat all together, my husband and I are very concerned, everyone at some point is hungry - but my Son just refuses to eat - it is not all the time but too often to be overlooked.

We need some help - we have tried to jsut put out everything, including what we are eating - and 7 out of 10 times, he just says he doesn't want to eat - I need some help!

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
Emmys_Mom

Re: My 4 year old son will not eat - almost anything, we have tried everything, every kind of food t

Is your son continuing to gain weight or maintain his current weight? I think anyone with a toddler is familiar with him/her refusing food at some point. With my daughter she can love a food one day and throw it on the floor the next day. My pediatrician has told us its normal and as long as she is still growing and appears healthy, a missed meal here and there won't hurt anything. But it sounds like your son is missing too many meals in your opinion. Trust your instinct and set up an appointment with the pediatrician.

One idea you might also try: Your son may just want to play rather than eat. Let him know that at meal times he can choose not to eat, but he can't play either. He has to sit at the table while the rest of the family finishes their meal.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
JLG272009

Re: My 4 year old son will not eat - almost anything, we have tried everything, every kind of food t

thank you, we are slowly getting there!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sherrywhite1977

My daughter eats the same thing over and over again for sometimes days at the time and refuses to eat anything else. I was worried first, since I wanted her to have a balanced diet each day. My pediatricians advice was to have an eating chart and try to make sure we get everything into her diet in each week rather than each day. This made our meal times much less stressful.

Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
JLG272009

Thank you - he is just very resistant at dinner time.

I will keep on truckin'

Thank you for your advice!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
littlekingdomdaycare001

This is not uncommon with kids that age. Is he active and healthy otherwise? If he is there shouldn't be anything to worry. It is very difficult at that age to get them to eat what they must according to books. They are very fussy. Try involving him in doing what he'd like to eat. Maybe that'll interest him. Have you talked to his pediatrician? Is he eating something between meal times? I know it's easier said than done, but doesn't seem like a cause for worry. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
danahalverson

I think it is normal for 4 year olds to try to use their independence.  Have you tried letting him prepare a portion of the meal or even helping serve the meal?  Setting out the silverware or scooping out the food onto plates?  He might take pride in helping and that might take the focus off of him not wanting to eat.  There are some nights that before my son (almost 4) and daughter (5yo) even take 1 bite they as how many bites they have to take to be done.  It is a little disheartening but I start out with 5 a number they can relate to and normally they eat more than that anyway.  Good Luck! 

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 1,079 members 94,004 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: