daviesa527051

Re: How to get son interested in using the potty?

I had the same problem with my 4 yr old when he was that age. All I can say it takes patience. We had tried everything we could think of and nothing worked. They worked on it in daycare and we worked on it at home. Then one day it clicked and started going on his own and now he even gets up in the middle of the night and goes. We still have problems with #2 but everything else is going well. Keep your head up. He will eventually get it.
Posted from Apple iPhone
New Contributor
kfdake

We went through this same exact thing. My son is 4 and he didn't become completely potty trained until just after turning 4. And we started the process just after he turned two. We did same exact thing as you. Had the reward system, tried putting him in underwear hoping he would care about staying dry. Nope, didn't care about any of it. He would only go pee or poo in the potty when it was convenient for him. He did really well in the morning first thing and sometimes at bed time. In between those times it was hit or miss and we had to be the one to remind him. And sometimes he flat out refused to go try. He was too busy playing. We tried every method in the book. Tried threatening that he wouldn't get to go on a special trip, etc. It didn't bother him so I stopped trying that.

So my advice to you is do not stress. Do not get ployed into those "guaranteed" to work methods and do not care about others who will judge you for not having your son trained yet just bc they got lucky and there kid wanted to start using the potty at a younger age. This is one thing that is out of our control and completely up to your child. Every kid is different and what works for one might not work for another. My son just decided one day a couple wks after he turned 4 that he was ready to start wearing underwear and he started telling me when he needed to go. I did make him start helping me clean out his poopy underwear so that might have helped encourage him but I really don't know if it was that or if he just decided he wanted to start using the toilet.

I know it sucks because you don't want to continue buying pull ups or diapers and it would just be much easier if they went in the toilet but if you stress about it it makes things harder for you and him. Once my son finally got it I felt bad all the times I stressed about it and gave him a hard time.. bc he just wasn't ready then. Keep encouraging your son but if he puts up a fight don't stress and don't force the issue. Just say okay maybe later. Don't put a time line on when he should be potty trained bc it only sets you and him up for failure.

Oh and the day care thing.. make sure they're not pressuring him either.. Don't let it bother you that he can't move up until he's trained.. That just might be a motivator for him to start using once he sees his friends moving to a different room. It also might not bother him and that's okay. At my son's day care they also have rooms for 3s and 4s but they don't use that as the deciding factor of when he gets to move. They have double toilets in each room which I loved bc then my son could go with another boy and they could learn together or he could learn from him if he was trained. Idk if that's what helped him either.. ik after two months of attending there he was trained but could also be he was just ready. My son is still in the 3s room but idc bc they basically are learning the same things as the 4s and they let him hang out in the 4s room sometimes too. They just don't have an opening in the 4s room. And I love both teachers in the 3s and 4s so either way is fine plus he starts preschool at his elementary in the fall
Posted from Generic Android
marericprice

Just wait until HE is ready and not when you are ready. I have 6 kids and I have learned it is so easy to "potty train" when you wait for them. They are not going to go to Kindergarten in diapers so don't worry. When they are ready it will take a day or two and your done.
Posted from Apple iPhone
sweeatrt

I have the exact same issue with my 2 1/2 yr old, but she is my third!! The first two were never as stubborn as she is and she also doesn't care if she's in wet or dirty panties!! I'm going to try some of the suggestion people have put out there cos I also have a newborn and getting hard to afford diapers for two kids
Posted from Apple iPhone
Frequent Visitor
karenelizabethmyers

Does he like books? I found an "Potty Time With Elmo." It's one of those books that you push a button and it makes sounds. He really liked that and there's a "Elmo's Potty Time" DVD too, complete with catchy songs about how fun it is to use the potty. We also used those washable tattoos as rewards and had a sticker chart. If he filled the chart he would get something bigger. Even if it's a trip to the park or a day of fishing with Dad, or a pizza party, he has something to look forward to. ...even a sleepover at grandmas. Good luck!

guess143xo

[ Edited ]

My son was the same age and was totally not interested. I just got sick and tired of pull-ups. (He would do #2 though in the toilet which I found weird) Literally one day I believe he was just turning 4 and decided that bathrooms were cool :smileyhappy: I would send him to school in pullups and the teacher said he that when she would send the kids to the bathroom he use to just stand in the stall and do nothing but then he just starting using it. He prefers to sit then stand though and I try not to push it. He is using the toilet so I am just happy. He is 5 now (Born October) but once in a while when I see him doing the dance I'll remind him to go the bathroom. He has had veryyyy few accidents, thank god, but HE is NOT potty trained at bedtime. No matter what I do he doesn't get up in the middle of the night. HE will take the pull up off and then theres an accident but he refuses to get up. I do make him use the bathroom as soon as he gets up and right before he goes to bed, and I have limited the water at night. But I really don't force him to train at night. He has his own mind and if he doesn't want to do it he doesn't (He's like my husband in that way lol) It will happen but as everyone says in his OWN time. Some kids can't be forced to trained.

bettyboop440

My daughters were potty training their sons at the same time. One was 2 1/2 and the other was 1 1/2. I bought them each a childs urinal and they have been doing much better since. They are available at Amazon.com for about 13.00. Wishing you good luck.

Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 7 members 558 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: