Contributor
MrsSKbearmom

How to get son interested in using the potty?

My little man will be 3 in just about 2 weeks and has no interest is using the potty.  We started trying to get him to use the big potty with one of those child seats over it because he did NOT like the little potty we had used for his sister. But he was having trouble with the stool and getting pants down, and then turning around on the stool - but he didn't want me to help. He also would sit for about 2 seconds and then say he was done. I have tried putting him in big kid underwear with the hopes that if he had an accident in those (at home) he would realize it feels yucky and he would want to use the potty. Nope - didn't seem to phase him. He even went #2 once in his SpiderMan undies and while the mess in his pants didn't seem to freak him out, the fact that I had to wash him off in the bathtub made him upset. He knows, and has seen, that there are SpiderMan stickers and Skittles ready for him as a reward. He knows I will give them to him if he goes in the potty, but he doesn't chooses not to. We went out and let him pick out a new little potty, but he still doesn't seem to really care all that much about it.

His daycare teacher says she takes him several times a day, especially after nap time. She has said that he has even gone #1 a couple times. But it is not consistent and he never offers up that he has to go. I was hoping being around the other kids who are using the potty would encourage him as it did his sister....but nope. I tried the same method of taking him to the potty every 15-30 minutes, when he wakes up in the morning and from naps like we did with his older sister, but he refuses. I say "Let's got to the potty!" or " Do you wanna try to use the potty?" Once in awhile he says yes, and I try to praise him for even just sitting on it. But more often his answer is "No, I donwanto" and I don't want to force him. But now we are approaching his 3rd birthday and he can't move up in daycare to the 3 yr old class unless he is potty-trained.  I just don't know what to do to get him to WANT to try it.

Occasional Visitor
timbecca18

Re: How to get son interested in using the potty?

i've just started potty training my 22 mo boy so i dont know much about this! But i was thinking that maybe you should try not give him any sweets at all! And then when his older sister goes to the toilet give her a sweet in front of him... you could let him know that only big kids who go potty get sweets. Maybe he'll catch on then because he's missing out on the sweets! Good luck
myfriend1

Try sitting im backwards on the potty (strattling the toilet facing the back) so he can get a good view (lol) or getting a step stool to stand on and place a few froot loops or cherrios in the toilet and have him try to pee on them.  Praise him and clap when he does.  Pottying becomes fun if it's a game! :smileyhappy: 

celestialcelexy

[ Edited ]

Well I am too new at this. I honestly was getting very stressed my son wouldn't ever be interested in potty training so a few months before his third birthday he said he was going to go potty and was going to try in one of his play bins lol. So I directed him to his potty and still no go. So luckly I am a stay at home mom and decided that I was going to be very consistant and almot annoying now that he has shown interest. I decieded not to put any underwear on him or pants at all and I know you risk pee or poop on things but it was a risk I felt I needed to make. I also had put the potty out in the living room since that's where we spent most of our time. I would ask like every ten minutes lol "do you have to go potty/pee pee" then I would say "lets go potty" and we would go over and he would sit and go. Also I would do a song and say i'm so proud of you and we would dance and hug, that was my reward for him rather than things. Then about day three he would just say mom pee and go then day four he started to poop. Now he still uses the potty but some days he is more lazy with it then others so there are accident in his cool underware. And sometimes he still doesn't poop in his potty he waits until around nap time when i put a diaper on to go lol. One thing I did keep saying for some time is that once he uses the potty like a big boy he can go to school like he see the characters on tv do and he liked that idea.... Good Luck sorry if this was annoying and too much information. 

Occasional Visitor
dawndahlgren

I have a 3 1/2 yr old...Great tip. Train their bladders. 1) Take child immediately after they wake up
2) Take child after breakfast
3) Take child after lunch
4) Take child after dinner
5) Take child right before bed
Other times as needed by child. But this really trains the child and bladder

GOOD LUCK! ♡
Posted from Generic Android
Occasional Visitor
obxpanthers

Unfortunately, we are experiencing the same difficulty. Our almost 3 1/2 year old son has no interest, either. He is an only child, so there is no other child for him to echo. He also says, "I don't want to!" We were only able to send him to a Parents Morning Out program since he's not yet trained, so he was in a class with other diaper wearing children, all younger than him. He began dreading preschool about a month ago, so using it as an incentive won't work either. He doesn't care if he can't go to the big boy class in September, because he doesn't want to go at all anyway! Prizes didn't work. He screams for clothes if we leave him naked. He'll continuously pee pee in his (changed multiple times) underwear and continue to play without being bothered. He doesn't care if we use "baby diapers," just wants to know what design they have on them. When we've had him sit on a schedule, he screams to the point of making himself sick. Even when we let him watch cartoons while sitting, he cries and attempts to get up. He doesn't want to stand. He WILL sit before his bath every night. This week we have started the "don't say anything about the potty for 2 weeks and then start again" trick, and he HAS been getting on the potty every night without prompting. We have been very cool about training, haven't pushed him, but now I'm thinking we've been way too lax! He is very smart, and it's obviously a power struggle. It's so frustrating! Hearing "no one goes to school in diapers" or "it will click one day" isn't making me feel any better :smileysad:
Posted from Apple iPhone
New Contributor
jvd5

Welcome to the world of potty training boys. Much harder than potty training girls, imo. My eldest DS was very resistant to potty training as well. Accidents did not bother him, sitting on a potty chair was like asking him to sit on hot lava, treats and reward did not work. I was also trying to potty train by 3 so he could go to preschool. I asked everyone for advice and nothing helped. I finally asked my pediatrician and he said give it time. He said most kids will figure it all out by 3 1/2. He said my son would wake up one day and just decide to do it. Not what I wanted to hear. BUT he was right. At 3 yrs. 3 mos. my son decided he didn't want to wear diapers like a baby, used the potty, and never looked back. I say keep doing what you're doing and take him to the potty. About a half hour after giving him a cup of juice/water/milk, take him to the potty. You know his bladder is full. Give him some books/toys and sit with him as long as he's willing to sit. Even if you're not having a lot of success, just keep doing it. Eventually he'll just start doing it. My son was not potty trained in time to go to preK at our local school, which was free. We had to send him to another school that didn't mind changing pull ups (not free).

Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 19 members 548 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: