ascheel52

Re: How to get son interested in using the potty?

My son who is 3 1/2 will go on the potty at daycare. We have two different kinds of seats. One sits in the living room and one goes on the toilet. He will run around naked for hours and then crawl to the pull-ups/diapers when he has to go. Sometimes he has even peed on the way to get them. At home he won't go near underwear. Once in a while daycare can get them on him. My other 2 boys were trained by this age. I don't get it either. He sees his friends and older siblings go on the potty.

Contributor
MrsSKbearmom

[ Edited ]

"Does he like books? I found an "Potty Time With Elmo." It's one of those books that you push a button and it makes sounds."

See, now this is the sort of stuff that worked with my daughter! We had that exact book and she played with it so much that eventually it started making really strange sounds when you pushed the buttons or just crackled.  And we did the sticker chart thing and fake tattoos for going #2.

But the sticker chart only works if you can get them to sit on the potty and then if they are start going. And fake tattoos for my son? Forget it-he hates them. LOL Why are they so different??

He has a few potty books, his favorite is Potty Time Superhero, but as his 3rd birthday is coming up I will look for some new ones. Maybe put them in the bathroom and tell him he can only look at them when sitting on the potty.

New Contributor
kfdake

Books had used to work for my son. He would just sit there and eventually go.. until one day he started wanting to sit on the potty so he could sit there and read but then started waiting to go until he had his pull up back on. That was one of the many times he regressed. And was also his last regression before finally deciding that he wanted to go in the toilet every time. I think ultimately you can say they are potty trained when they're taking themselves to the bathroom or taking you with them and going every time they say they have to go and when they start to get upset when they wet there underwear. My son didn't used to care he was wet until when he decided he wanted to use the toilet then suddenly he hated wetting himself. It's so strange how they can suddenly change
Posted from Generic Android
mrs.heine08

set him on the potty backwards it is easier for them to go that way. eventually he will progress to standing position.

Contributor
MrsSKbearmom

[ Edited ]

UPDATE: I first wrote this post on 05/19/2014 and now it is 06/30/2014 and my little 3 yr old boy is well on his way to being fully potty trained! On Saturday he did NOT hold it in all day as he had been, but instead went #1 ANNNNDDDD #2 on the potty!!!!!!! Even while being out and about! Can you tell I am happy??! LOL

He had one slip-up on Sunday, but was back on track the rest of the day. I think I am going to wait for a couple weeks to go by and then attempt no diapers at bed time. Crossing my fingers that this is it!!!

Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 11 members 710 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: