ptg445054

Re: How to get son interested in using the potty?

I had the EXACT same issue with my son. I picked a day, his birthday party, and talked with him days prior that there would be no more diapers after the party. He was not happy, I had to hide all the diapers. I patiently waited for the tantrum to end, put him in underpants, and we haven't looked back. That was about a month ago. The first 3 days were AWFUL!!! The first day I sat him on the potty every 15-20 min, he would go a couple drops, pull up his pants and promptly wet them. Anyway, just buckle down and don't turn back. By day 4 we were on the right track. At present we still have #2 accidents but all in good time. Good luck!
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Contributor
MrsSKbearmom

[ Edited ]

Wow, everyone chimed in at once on this subject, lol! Thanks for all the responses and suggestions!

As an update - We had "Underwear Day" on Saturday. A few days before that I went and bought several pairs of underwear, socks, and a bunch of cheap shorts. I talked about Underwear Day a lot and explained what we were gonna do. He seemed excited for it. Started out well, would sit on the potty whenever I told him it was time. Never actually went in the potty though. Had a few accidents, usually just a minute or two after a potty-attempt. (thankfully all accidents happened on the hard floors and not carpet!) Set the timer and had him sit on the potty every 20-30 minutes. He did okay with this, but after awhile I think he got tired of it and started refusing to sit on the potty. I put him in a diaper for naptime and after that he refused to put back on the underwear. Said he wanted to wear a diaper. I started thinking that maybe he just can't tell his own body cues of when he is about to go. But then on Sunday we were out somewhere and he ASKED me, "mommy, did you put underwear on me?" I said, "Excuse me? You have to go don't you and want to make sure it is okay to go in your pants, is that it?" Oh, he is good. That little stinker.

Today he is at daycare and he knows and seemed excited to wear underwear and use the potty. I asked him several if he was gonna use the pooty and not pee-pee on his teachers floor, and he said "Yes" and when we got to daycare he pulled out a pair of underwear and asked to put them on. So, I am crossing my fingers, praying, and hoping that he gets it, that he figures this out.

And jvd5, yes, I know it is true that when they are ready it is like a light switch is flipped and they just do it. My daughter was the same way.....it just happened sooner! And I keep hearing about boys who resist and don't train until they are 4 or older but sounds more like it is a power struggle and mind-manipulating thing by then. And I REALLY don't want to change a 4 yr old size poopy diaper!! LOL

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
jtoriell

A friend of mine was in the same sort of delimma you are in now with her youngest. He refused to go to the potty. In the end she told him that the Easter bunny or Santa wasn't going to visit that year if he didn't learn to be a big boy and use the potty. Two seconds later, he went number 2 and had no other issues. I thought it was brilliant. 

Please use plain text.
klaplant79

I have 3 boys and it seems w/ each one they trained later. My youngest was finally trained a few months after he turned 3. I don't do undies or pull ups. Just either a long t-shirt or some comfy pants/shorts w/ elastic waist. Its much easier for them to not have to try and mess w/ zippers and buttons. Also we live in a very wooded rural neighborhood. So I started by asking every hour if he needed to go potty. Then letting them go out the back door and letting them pee off the back deck. I don't know what it is about men and peeing outside but in my family they love it. My boys got the hang of holding it until they were outside. Once they learned to control themselves I would mention that they could use the "bathroom potty". It gave them options of where they could go. I did however make it clear from the beginning that if he had to go poo it had to go in the toilet so it could be flushed. Pretty soon they were using the bathroom more then going outside. All in all each child took approximately a week and they were fully potty trained. May not work for some people but worked amazingly for my boys.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Visitor
pinkboxer01

[ Edited ]

I was saying the same thing about 2 months ago with my daughter - she was almost 3.5 and I was like, I will NOT change 4-year-old diapers!  LOL.  Well, a few weeks ago she finally made the switch.  We had been trying since she was 2 with no success.  Everyone says girls are easier, but they have not met my stubborn daughter lol.  When she was ready she just did it (although I have to say that about the same time, I bought her some Doc McStuffins underwear - she is really into Doc - and she was very interested in wearing them.  So maybe that helped a bit too).  Every kid is different.  He will do it, but he sounds like my daughter, who refused to do it on anyone's timeline but her own.  I actually think backing off a bit is helpful if they're really resistant.  It's something only they can control and you cannot "make" them potty train, so letting them set the timeline might help some stubborn kids (like mine lol) do it sooner.  I know it's tough to let go like that, at least if you're a type A like me, but I do think some kids do better that way.  I had a hard time with it, but she resisted less when I backed off.  Good luck!

Please use plain text.
nermal101

I tried everything I could think of with my son, and none of it worked. Then, when he was about 3 1/2 he decided one day on his own to use the potty, and he never had an accident after that. I guess it just had to be on his terms. It was super frustrating for me in the meantime, since there were so many things he couldn't participate in with diapers, but in the end it was just something we couldn't force on him. Hang in there!

Posted from Amazon KFTHWI
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jvd5

And jvd5, yes, I know it is true that when they are ready it is like a light switch is flipped and they just do it. My daughter was the same way.....it just happened sooner!

This made me lol. I helped potty train my niece many, many years ago. I would take care of her during the summer. My sister decided to start potty training when my niece turned 2. Since I took care of her while my sister was at work. So I had to help with the potty training. A month and half later, my niece was potty trained. Perhaps that is why I had unrealistic expectations with my son.  My son had a control issue too. It was his poop and pee and he was going with it as he pleased. I still remember the first time he saw me flush his poop in the potty. It was like I flushed his bff. Oh how he cried. I had accepted the fact that I would indeed have a 3 year old in diapers and possibly a 4 year old in diapers. And just when I did that, he decided to use the potty.

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 1,050 members 122,343 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: