Regular Visitor
pizzamonkies

Help my 6 yr old is a compulsive liar!

Please help!
My 6yr old step son has become a compulsive liar! He has been doing this for over a year now, but it seems to have gotten worse in the last few months. He will lie about things that don't matter in the least, and even if myself or his dad say "no thats not quite right, its more like this..." he gets really upset. Often time he truly belives what he is doing is the right thing even though i just watched him hit the cat for no reason, or throw something of mine accross the house. He will lie about which pencil he just used, or what he had for lunch. This is getting out of hand and no forms of punishment no matter how severe have any effect. Hes generally a good kid and i feel guilty because by mid afternoon my pateince is gone. He tells me all the time "I've changed I'll never lie again" then is lying agan minutes later. Please help!
Posted from Samsung SCH-S738C
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
Emmys_Mom

Re: Help my 6 yr old is a compulsive liar!

How frustrating! Have you tried praise/rewards for telling the truth? Often positive reinforcement will go further than negative consequences.

Using Positive Reinforcement

http://www.parents.com/videos/v/93502536/using-positive-reinforcement.htm

Please use plain text.
kpearlhenderso1

Do you call him on the lies that don't matter? I think I would ignore that he's lying about which pencil he just used, don't even address it. Like you said it doesn't matter. Then I would make an effort to praise him for telling the truth. But I wouldn't openly tell him that. If you have other children do the same with them. He will see the wonderful attention they are getting and want the same. Be sure to be paying attention and give praise for the small stuff.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
tbsaghafi35177

I have a 5 year old daughter who lies about amny things.  It could either be from the imagination or getting attention.  I always tell her if you want my attention, try to get it the right way.  Since she wants to get my attention, I purposely ignore her at some lies (not the important ones).  Best of luck to you, hopefully he will grow out of it. 

Please use plain text.
ModChristine

Ironically, I saw this the other day and thought of your post...

http://www.parents.com/kids/development/behavioral/age-by-age-guide-to-lying/?sssdmh=dm17.750386&esr...

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 12 members 464 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: