New Contributor
elendownwa61987

Hello I am babysiting and need help with discipline ? Timeout not working ?

Hi I need help with discipline i am babysitting time out not working should I carry on with timeout or do something else ? Please help !
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
Contributor
MrsSKbearmom

Re: Hello I am babysiting and need help with discipline ? Timeout not working ?

[ Edited ]

How old is the child? What exactly are you placing them in time out for? How are you implementing time out? How often are you baby sitting for this child?

Also, as a babysitter, you definitely should not strike a child, no matter how the parents feel about it. Have spoken the parents on how they would like you to discipline their child? What methods do they use and are comfortable with you also using?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
elendownwa61987

The child is 4 . For hitting me putting them in for 4 mins . A week . Yes they said spanking which I know is wrong so please help thanks
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
alisonsuttles

I have a challenging kid and hitting is an automatic timeout. The main thing is to make sure there is as little attention to the child as possible, and let it go once the timeout is over. If you focus on it, you're giving them attention for bad behavior.

So here's our script:

1. Pick the timeout spot and have it be the same place every time.

2. Identify the behavior and the timeout.

"We do not hit people. You must go to timeout for 5 minutes. Do you want to walk by yourself or shall I take you?"

3. If they fight the timeout, calmly state, "You are not going to timeout. I'm adding 2 minutes."

4. If they continue to fight it, have a room they can go to to calm down.

5. Once the timeout is over (they have to be calm for a recognizable period of time even if it means extending the timeout), tell them, "Good job calming down. Let's go play." And make sure you have a plan for something to do right away that is positive.

6. Rinse and repeat if necessary.

The most important part for us has been staying calm and not giving them any attention during the timeout. If they talk to you, ignore them. If they come out of timeout, you can either return them to the timeout spot or take them to the timeout room to finish out their timeout.

It can totally be frustrating, but consistency is the most important thing. The child needs to know that they won’t get away with fighting you even though they will continue to test you from time to time.
Please use plain text.
mayamy2925

Why is the child hitting you. Is it out of not getting his way or because he has a lot of pent up energy. Either way it is inappropriate to hit and telling him is where to start. Timeout is only going to work if it is out of not getting what he wants or anger. If it is pent up energy try to redirect. Another reason is because he is tired. Again timeout won't work in this situation. He probably needs to be made to lay down or do something calming. Always reinforce that hitting is not ok.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
nicolecasey987

I think you should let the child play more active games so that LO can express energy. Let us know how you're doing!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
elendownwa61987

I am still finding it very hard nothing's working :smileysad:
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 29 members 3,870 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: