New Contributor
asilasthonia

Early potty training.

Please i want to start potty training,he is 16 months and i know is early but i want to.Please how do i start?

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
LaylasMommy1014

Re: Early potty training.

I'm in the same boat as you! My DD was so advanced, until about a year old. I was planning on starting at 14 months, assuming she would be talking and I could communicate with her better.. But shes 18 months, not talking. I'm so lost as to begin potty training. my step son is 15 so my DH doesnt remember how they did it back when he was younger. Any advice will help

♥ Brie ♥
My NFP Chart
Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
**Kasey.. 01/07/2003-12/24/2012. You were my heart, my soul, and my whole world, cancer may have taken you from me, but you'll never be forgotten. I have your pawprints forever on my heart.**
Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
va_grant333

We introduced the potty at 18 months and kept it pretty low key. The potty sat in the bathroom and I would ask my daughter if she wanted to go potty throughout the day. We had some early success but mostly she was not interested. After she turned 2 she showed more interest and I took her shopping for underwear. At around 2 1/2 she said "I want to wear underwear!" We had a day and a half of accidents and since then she has been mostly accident free! It has been 3 months now and we still have poppy accidents occasionally but otherwise doing great! I think potty training went smoothly for us because we waited for her to really want to do it. The waiting was the hardest part! I kept thinking, when is she going to want to do this?! Good luck :smileyhappy:
Posted from Samsung SCH-I535
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
jlschindele

With my first daughter she was not even remotely interested or really ready for potty training until she was just about 3 years of age (we did it at 35 months) and there was many accidents.  But she finally became fully reliably potty trained about 5 months later (no accidents).

With daughter #2 we introduced the concept at 18 months because she saw her older daughter doing it.  We continued to sit her on the potty before bath and any other time during the day that she asked to go.  By the time she turned 2 we swapped diapers for underwear.  We have had our share of accidents and pooping is still an issue at 2.5 but just recently she had become more self reliant on getting to the potty and going.  And finally starting to understand the feeling of having to poop. 

Good luck and don't get too stressed out about it.  The more anxious you are, the harder it will be.  Make it fun and offer rewards.  We LOVE doing the potty dance at our house. 

Please use plain text.
vlaimingy

I started pity training since she first walked @ 9 mo. Whenever vi do diaper changes I consistently take her to the potty as well as repeat words so she understands what it means to go potty.  She's been doing great so far.

Posted from Samsung SM-T310
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
asilasthonia

Firstly, i say thanks to all of you for your support. We have started anyway,just that at times he cries so much that i will become so confused that i wouldn't know what to do.

Please use plain text.
wanjeyin

Started my son when he was able to hold his pee for approx. 2 hours. From that time on, would automatically bring him to sit on the toilet (or even in the bathtub!!), while whistling at the same time. He quickly associated whistling with peeing. Fast forward to 18 months old and he was no longer wearing diapers in the daytime. Now he's 3, we usually rely on him to tell us he has to pee. But we do remind him on occasion.

Son would go to sleep around 9PM. At night before I went to bed (12PM), I'd carry him to the bathroom and pee him again. Hilarious to see him peeing while sleeping! But he'd still respond, except his head would be slumped over.

By 21 months, he was completely out of diapers, day and night. The odd spotting, but no major incidents. So proud of him! As for defecating, he did have a single incident where he did it in his diaper at 18 months. But the feeling of feces in his diaper was completely foreign to him and he freaked out! Ever since then, never again.

I applaud those who encourage early potty training. Diapers (both disposable and cloth) use a lot of resources. Best solution? Earlier out of any diapers, the better!

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 1,182 members 196,071 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: