New Contributor
catalan4u

Bedtime troubles

I have a 3 year old daughter and for the last two weeks it's hard getting her to sleep in her own room. She has been sleeping on her own since 3 months old, I haven't had problems with her sleeping alone. It started out with her coming into my room at 2-3am but now it has come to she can't not sleep unless she's on my bed. I have a routine with her at night and I been reading double at night but I have no idea what caused this and i need help for solutions because I don't want her used to sleeping on my bed more then she needs to. I took her to the doctor thinking maybe she was coming down with something be he said she was fine. Help please :smileyhappy:
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
bsjones0708

Re: Bedtime troubles

This is what I did when my child invited herself in my bed: walked around the house & said Good Night to everyone & pets & stars/moon. Read 3 books her choice. Turned on cloud b ladybug to color of choice. Had 5mins snuggle time. I told her I would check on her in 5 mins then after a week I made it 10mins. Then I left the room.I had to set a timer to make sure I checked on her. If awake I came back after 10mins. Also I told her what I do while she sleeps b4 I go to bed. I made it sound boring. Cleaning or prepare for next day.etc be honest. Also the books Llama Llama red pajama , tell me something happy before I go to sleep helped a lot. Good luck. Oh and fisher price nature sounds cd. Just be paticent & consistent.
Posted from Samsung SCH-I535
Please use plain text.
Contributor
firstschool01

Most parents have trouble getting their kids to bed on time. A bedtime routine is an important factor in helping your child fall asleep with ease. Changing for bed, brushing teeth, and having a story together each night. Most children work well with a set routine.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mmack1978

Bed time routine is crucial, sounds like you have a good one. Try this: Instead of having her climb into bed with you at 2am, take her back to her room and you lay down in her bed with her. It isn't easy, and YOUR sleep will be more disrupted (I spent a few entire nights in a twin bed with my 3yr old!) but at least she is in her own bed and doesn't get used to sleeping in yours. My son stopped trying to get into bed with us at 5am when he realized we'd take him back to his room EVERY time. After a while they give up. Good luck, it's so hard to parent while you are missing sleep! :-P
Posted from Android 4.3
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
bethorlowski

Your situation sounds just like mine. My daughter was always good for me at night until recently. She did finally mention something about monsters, so I tried looking for books about being scared or worried. It's been going on for a couple of months. If I put her in her room she will scream and cry until she is coughing and spitting up. Staying in there with her isn't working either. My husband has been sleeping on the couch with a hurt back, so she curls up next to him and falls asleep. For now, it's not disrupting the rest of us having her sleep on the couch, so I will continue reasuring her about monsters and thinking about happy things or saying a little prayer to Jesus when she is scared. I think it has a lot to do with what you are comfortable with and also your child's temperment. I'd rather her go to bed earlier and more comfortably than fight her for 3 more hours and her be crabby in the morning. Good luck! You are not alone.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
catalan4u

UPDATE: my daughter is doing a lot better now with her sleeping habits. I just kept with my routine and put her to bed 30mins earlier then I would so we can just talk about our day and talk about what is going to happen the next day. I do let her sleep in my bed on occasion but just because she misses me and doesn't see me as often. Thank you for everyone who commented on this post I did read all comments and I did apply all advice.

-rebecca
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Contributor
VLCenter

Bed time routine is crucial, sounds like you have a good one. Try this: Instead of having her climb into bed with you at 2am, take her back to her room and you lay down in her bed with her. It isn't easy, and YOUR sleep will be more disrupted (I spent a few entire nights in a twin bed with my 3yr old!) but at least she is in her own bed and doesn't get used to sleeping in yours. I think you should look after this and gradually increase the timing and be consistent in your approach. Everything's gonna be fine.

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 18 members 872 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: