N/A
jessmmc

ASD/Mitral Valve Cleft

My daughter is having open heart surgery on January 10, 2014. She has an atrial septal defect and a mitral valve cleft that are both being operated on.

Any advice? I'm obviously terrified. She's 4. She will tell you she's having surgery and theyre going to fix her heart and understands that she will be at the hospital for a few days with mommy and daddy. She's cool, calm and collected. I however, can not get a positive thought in my mind..does anyone know how long this surgery lasts? or have any experience on this? i just want her to be ok :womansad:

Also any advice on what I should bring to the hospital for her? and us? we'll be staying with her as much as we can but looking at facebook on my phone only provides so much mind numbing distraction.

Occasional Contributor
kcpup23

Re: ASD/Mitral Valve Cleft

My heart & prayers go out to your brave little girl, as well as, your family. I can't offer any advise as far as the surgery goes (very sorry) but I can help a little with the items needed for the hospital stay. Lots of stuff to keep your little one occupied. I was a candy striper in the child ward of UHC (our area hospital) and a few things that the children loved to do were (1) Board Games, it's fun & doesn't require lots of physical activity. (2) Crafts, this was always fun for the children and myself. Go to your local craft store and see what they have to offer. Beads for pretty jewelry (make mother daughter matching necklaces, great bonding activity & really easy) Playdough or clay, can be messy, bring an old sheet, blanket, or towel to use as a bed protecter, but it's fun & will keep her well entertained. (3) Favorite movies, set a certain time during the day or night to have a family movie time. Break out the popcorn (if allowed). (4) Spa Day, bring or get some cute & pretty hair clips & foam curlers (don't have to use hair spray) and nail polish for a manicure & pedicure, maybe even some light make up (baby wipes are a good remover) and if your up to it let her do your make up. Theses are just a few things that'd keep her (& you) occupied. Another idea, bring a journal, I'm sure this isn't going to be a fond memory but it'll give you something to do & a way to vent, plus years later when she ask (and she will, 22 years ago (4yrs old) I got hit by a car and was in traction for 2 weeks to this day I still ask my family about my 'stay' at the hospital) about her stay. Write about how your feeling and what you have to go through, and ask your daughter if she wants you to write anything in it for her. Later in her life you can tell her how brave she was, and how if she can get through this than she can conquer anything. You never know one day she may have to go through something tough with her own child and when she's scared you can give it to her so she'll know that she's not alone in her feelings. Other than fun toys, activities, favorite items, hygiene products, stuffed animals, books, and comfy clothes this is all I have to offer. I'm sorry I couldn't offer much more. Your daughter & family will be in my prayers.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 8 members 631 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: