Visitor
katses

3.5 year old still pooping in underwear??

HELP! I'm at my wit's end. My 3.5 year old has been pee trained for over a year, but could care less about pooping in the potty. He can, and will if I catch him in time, but otherwise will poop in his underwear and not care. We've tried stickers, surprises, rewards, taking toys away, and nothing seems to work. I can tell when he is about to poop by facial expression, but if you ask him directly if he needs to poop, he will always say no. Even if he has poop in his underwear and you ask him about it, he will always deny it. Any ideas??

Regular Contributor
cassie186

Re: 3.5 year old still pooping in underwear??

I would have him evaluated by a doctor. Some kids DO have a problem registering when they need to poop. Just because you can tell by his face that he is about to poop, doesn't necessarily mean that he has registered that feeling he is about to poop or even sometimes a child will be unable to even tell when they are pooping if they have GI problems.

ashleywerner

My daughter is doing this, too. I also have no idea what to do :smileysad: 

Regular Contributor
HostTammy

The good news is that this will not go on forever :smileyhappy: Honest, I wouldn't admit to having poop in my pants either!

My neighbors son pooped his pants until he was five. They thought he would never get it under control and I am happy to report that he is now 7 and poopy pants free.

Is there anything going on at home? New baby? New living situation? My best guess is to remain calm and be consistant about reminding him to poop on toilet. Maybe set times that he sits on toilet. Maybe you can get an idea of when his poop times are and work around that. Also, have him checked by a doctor to rule out any physical problems.

Remember that you are not alone. There are a lot of kids out there that go through potty training struggles before they master it.

Tammy

Occasional Visitor
sdiepenbrock

I realize I'm late coming into this conversation - but my son is going to be 4 at the end of November and has this same issue. He has a major issue with consitpation, the dr has put him on Miralax, and if he doesn't get it at least once a day, if not twice, he is stopped up. SO that's what we initially thought the problem was. BUT we have had him on the lax since April, and have been working to get the timing/dosage just right...he refuses to go at daycare (home daycare), so once in awhile I'll pick him up and he'll tell me he has poop in his pants, but even at home, he demands a pull-up to go in. If we refuse (this happened twice because I feel terrible) he will just go in his underwear. We have also tried bribes with candy/food, activities, money, anything you can think of. He will not give in. Once in a rare while I can get him to sit on the potty, I have the big potty, with an insert seat, and a little training potty next to it, so he can even choose if that's the problem...but nothing will come out. I know he won't be in college pooping his pants, but this is putting off being able to advance him into a preschool, which he needs! We talk about it every day and now he's even arguing, "no, babies wear underwear, big boys wear pull-ups!"  I'm at my wit's end, not sure what else to try.

Occasional Visitor
martbern2001

My two and a half year old goes to the potty when she wants to pee and stands with her legs crossed when she wants to poop but it's a battle to get her to sit on the potty or toilet to do it. She knows when she wants to go and is happy and announces success whenever she does it, but there's a fight everytime to actually go.
Posted from RIM BlackBerry 9320
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 7 members 503 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: