New Contributor
maryelissa33

20 mth old tantrums and behavior!!! ugh!

Hello,

My daughter is 20 mths old and she has been acting crazy lately!  Ugh!  We have her in a MyGym class and try to take her out (ie; parks, malls, restaurants, etc) on the regular, but it just seems like her behavior is getting worse.  At the MyGym class, she does not want to do any of the structured stuff.  She screams and cries and throws herself around, and/or runs off to do what she wants.  She loves going, but only wants to do what she wants to, when she wants.  I know that part of it is her age, but OMG!  It's not fun for anyone and kind of emberrasing.  Today, for example, we went and had pics done, she was great, but as soon as we were done and needed to wait, we went out for a walk.  Right in front of the pic place was a booth where they were selling bubble guns.  She wanted to see them.  She loves bubbles.  As soon as I told her that we needed to go back in to pick up the pics, she had a 10 min meltdown, even after we got back inside the shop.  She was throwing herself on the ground, screaming, crying and trying to get out the door!  Oh my...

She is a smart, sweet, and loving little girl, whom I just love to death, but this is making me crazy!  This is our first child, and I stay at home with her.....HELP! 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

Re: 20 mth old tantrums and behavior!!! ugh!

The best thing to do is just wait it out. I know that sounds totally horrible right now while you are in it, but I promise it does get better. If you can when she has her tantrums just let her do her thing and ignore her (obviously in public you can't leave the room and need to stay by her but sometimes trying to get them to stop/ picking them up/ etc makes it last longer). It can help a lot to use some signs with her for some things and to start giving her time warnings (we have to leave in x amount of time, it's time to start getting ready to leave, etc) and also some choices to make. She's also getting old enough for time outs. However instead of thinking of time outs as a form of punishment, think of them more as a way to remove her from situations when you see she is getting overwhelmed and having trouble making good decisions, then while she is in time out you can have a chance to quickly remove something that is causing issues and collect yourself too. 

The other big big big thing for toddlers- food and sleep. If she isn't getting enough sleep, and she doesn't have enough food in her tummy before her class, she's just not going to be very agreeable. If she isn't getting a good snack before she goes to class, try giving her a protein bar or something along those lines right before you leave and see if it makes a difference.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
maryelissa33

Re: 20 mth old tantrums and behavior!!! ugh!

Thank you!!!  I really appreciate the advice!  I actually tried being more specific in telling her my "expectations" of her tonight before her class, and it seemed to help.  I also told her 5 min before we needed to leave that we needed to start cleaning up because we had to leave soon and reminded her again when we had 2 min left.  When she started to fuss and throw a tantrum, I asked her to look at me 'in the eyes' and said 'remember what mommy said before class?  This behavior is not ok. Be a big girl and stop right now and get ready to go.'  It seemed to help a bit.  Consistancy will be the key....and reminding myself to take a breath before I get too frustrated.....

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 727 members 118,618 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: