New Contributor
katty71952

20 month old bed battle help!!

Hello everyone,
My daughter's routine at night is, bathtime, reading a story, give thanks to God for another day, and I put her in the crib, put a blanket on and I sat on the rocking chair singing to her until she goes to sleep sometimes for an hr or a little more, while I do this she starts to do numerous of things to keep her busy, she is tired and refusing to close her eyes!! Plays with her hands, sings, counts, and started to pull her blanket off to the point that I get frustrated bc Im tired and I just want to rest, so my question is, what can I do to do this time more comfortable for her and for me! Should I just leave her there, I dont want to do the cry to sleep method, I do not like it, is there anything else besides this that I can do? Thank you ladies!!
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

Re: 20 month old bed battle help!!

Good Night, Sleep Tight and the sleep lady shuffle SAVED my toddler's life, my marriage, and right now it's saving my sanity while I'm teaching my baby how to sleep. 

I will give you my two cents- for a long time I was opposed to anything that would make my kids cry. But it got to the point where me trying to keep them from crying was causing me SO much frustration and it was also physically impairing me from the long term lack of sleep. My kids also weren't as happy during the day from being overtired. Yes, they did cry at first. But the amount of tears we went through to get them sleeping on their own was FAR less tears than what we were all going through out of tiredness and frustration. It helped me TREMENDOUSLY that their crying was their tired cry, so I knew they weren't really hurt, they were just tired and finding a way to blow off steam and go to bed on their own. Sleep Lady Shuffle was a good sort of compromise for me vs just leaving them in their crib to cry it out. The first three days were the hardest for us, but after that it goes pretty smooth.

For me, it came down to I was becoming a crappy parent and had a temper with my kids and just couldn't be the mom they deserved. The trade off was a few tears but we ended up with far less in the long run between everyone, and my kids were still the same happy kids during the day.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
jrsiler

I am right with you on this. My 3 and 2 year old always battle us for bed time! I have thought about asking my pedi about melatonin or something to help calm them as they get wild at bed time. The things that would normal work for them have stopped working.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
katherine.leeann7

I have twin 2 year old girls and a 4 year old boy. Our routine is dinner, bath (every other day or so), brush teeth, good nights and then I put them in their beds and turn off any light that may be visible. Occasionally they come out and I put them back in bed the first time reminding them that it's ni night time the next times not saying anything just putting them back. Eventually they sleep and usually it takes less than an hour. I don't stay in the room because it is an extra distraction. You could try a white noise machine or a small CD player with lullabies playing very softly.
Posted from Android 4.3
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 415 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: