familyguygrl1

2 &1/2 wont brush teeth HELP

[ Edited ]

Hello 

My daughter will be 3 in June she refuses to brush her teeth. I have tried videos about brushing, songs, brushing my teeth in front of her, I have even tried letting her brush my teeth (with my toothbrush of course not hers). I don't know what to do. HELP!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

Re: 2 &1/2 wont brush teeth HELP

YOU need to be brushing her teeth still. Even at three she isn't big enough to do it by herself. 

DD1 was HORRIBLE for the longest time about getting her teeth brushed. The only way we were able to get her teeth brushed for a long time was to practically sit on her since she was too big to get pinned in our lap. After a short time though she started to let us brush her teeth while sitting in our lap and as long as she was polite about it, we would let her just sit there while we did it and then she could finish up once we had her teeth brushed well. After lots of perseverance and not budging on it (hygiene matters are non-negotiable in our house) she is super great about having her teeth brushed and was even a super star at the dentist.

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
Emmys_Mom

With our daughter we used the TV shows she loves to watch. We bought her a Dora the Explorer toothbrush and tell her its time to brush with Dora. We also downloaded the Daniel Tiger Day/Night app, which lets you brush Daniel Tiger's teeth.

Even with these tactics, dd is good about getting the front teeth, but we have to help her brush the teeth in the back of her mouth. I'm hoping as she gets older she'll get better at it, but for now we just let her brush on her own for a few seconds, then take over and finish the job.

Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
littlesallysmi1

Brush you teeth together and let her watch you brush and then you load her toothbrush and sing the song "this is the way we brush our teeth, brush our teeth, brush our teeth, this is the way we brush our teeth, do early in the morning". By that time, you should be able to get her. Left and right sides and upper and lowers brushed, with two cycles of the song. Now for the front teeth, you tell her "Lets see that tongue". That exposes the top front teeth, when they stick out the tongue(cause their front lip automatically pulls up". And you brush the top teeth, rinse the brush, and then. Brush the tongue this time. If she pulls back, try it again. After you finish that, you can fo the bottom front also. I usually have my don sit on the counter of the sink and I'm in front of him making sure he doesn't fall. Its close enough to the sink, so you can rinse the toothbrush after brushing the teeth. After its done, rinse the brush and then tap the sink with the toothbrush three times, tap, tap, tap, and with a big smile say "All done! Now lets go have some pancakes!!!". It works for my kid. He will brush himself also sometimes.
Posted from Nokia Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jessical_124

I have been brushing my girls (3&2) since they were teething, so they are pretty good about it. However they are toddlers so its not always easy. My 3yo does not like bugs, so when she wouldn't let me brush, I told her about the teeth buggies that live on her teeth and that brushing gets them off. She now reminds us that we need to brush her teeth. But we do have bad days and on those days, I will lay them on the bed, hold legs down with my tummy, one hand has the arm and I brush. We may not get the best brushing done but its better than not. I do second what cassie186 said. I would let my 3yo brush her teeth. When we went for the dental cleaning, she had a little spot of decay, the dentist said we should still be brushing teeth because thier coordination isn't as defined. So she now has to let mommy or daddy brush and then she can.
Posted from Sprint X325c/APX325CKT
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
k8_wilson

I had to pin my daughter too. I uses to tell her this is the hard way there is an easy way. Tomorrow you can choose the easy way after about 2 weeks she choose the easy way and has ever since. I have terrible teeth and when I've told other oarwbta my method they think its awful but when your 3/4 year old has to have a filling you may rethink.
Your daughter is also old enough for a battery operated toothbrush we got one at first that she decorates with sticker s. when ever we replace her toothbrush we let her pick. We also floss her teeth.
Then when we are done it's her turn and as it spins on its own she has a lot of fun and is probably doing a great job on getting bits we may have missed.
I just want reiterate I am 30 and have has 2 route canalaa 3 extractions and 14 fillings. I did not look after my teeth as a child. And the physical pain plus the way my teeth look is not something I ever want my daughter to go through. I hated pinning her but like I said two weeks and she always picks the easy way now. (Shes pretty atwubborn too I bet most lids would pick the easy way after a few days)
Posted from Google Nexus 4
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
k8_wilson

Sorry for all the typos
Posted from Google Nexus 4
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 146 members 17,214 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: