Occasional Contributor
kcpup23

15 month old waking up from Nightmares or terrors?

Since 2 months old my son has been startled awake through out the night. It was only once every week or so (rarely twice a night). It was different than waking up due to hunger or needing a clean diaper. He'll just jolt & be wide awake and crying like an 'I'm scared cry '. If I didn't get to him within seconds his crying went shrieking. Once I got him in my arms he'd stop the screaming but almost act as any child who had a nightmare would. Starting around mid November it became an every night thing. I moved him from his crib to a toddler bed so that he could come to me (after 2 weeks of him waking from (?) I moved him into my room) I've laid awake watching to see what is happening & it's the same thing he'll be sleeping peacefully than jolt wide awake crying. It reminds of when you have a dream your falling & suddenly wake up right before smacking the ground. I don't mind waking up for him but I'm actually really worried. Any advice, suggestions, and/or help will be greatly appreciated, GREATLY. Please help a fellow mom :smileyhappy:
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
kcpup23

Re: 15 month old waking up from Nightmares or terrors?

I forgot to add he's 15 months old now. I only allow Disney JR or Nick JR to be on so I know it's nothing he is watching.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Ais4Adoption

A liitle change in his sleeping posture could help. Analyse his sleeping posture and try to adjust his postion in east west direction as they are scientificlly proven to be good for body as well. Try shifting your child according to this and it would definitely work.

Every Child Deserve Love and Affection.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
sburton06

Intolerance to some foods can cause night terrors along with other symptoms? Luckily my daughter didn't have nightmares but we did have to sort through a laundry list of things that all came back to a dairy and gluten intolerance. Hope you figure out what is causing it and everything gets better for you and your little one! http://fedup.com.au/factsheets/symptom-factsheets/sleep-disturbance-and-insomnia
Posted from Android 4.3
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

I would talk to your pedi about this. We have dealt with our fair share of terrors with DD1 (note: what you are describing though is nightmares and they are very different than night terrors). We found that they were mainly linked with certain types of visual stimulation (ie DH would watch Adventure Time with her *stomps foot with arms crossed*) or she was getting to bed too late. We have only had 1 night terror in about 3-4 months since making sure that naps were strictly adhered to and bedtime is rarely ever pushed back now. We were having one every three days or so before making the schedule tighter and banning Adventure Time during kid awake hours (don't ask me why it's this one show in particular, but DH figured she hadn't had a terror in awhile and watched it with her a few days ago because he didn't believe me and that's the night she had her first one in several months *eye roll*).

The reason night terrors and nightmares are so different- night terrors are basically sleep walking/ talking through a nightmare. The kid looks and sounds like they are awake but they really aren't- they are asleep through the whole thing. All you can really do is make sure they don't get hurt on something, and trying to wake them up can actually make it worse. Nightmares the child IS awake after the dream and can remember it and why it was scary. The night terrors the kid won't remember or recall at all.

A detailed visit with your pedi about it should help give you some ideas of stimulation/ routine/ etc that could be contributing. The other thing too is that it could even just simply be his night time routine. If he's too sleepy or even just flat out asleep before going into bed, he may be half awake when he suddenly realizes mom isn't right there with him anymore and isn't necessarily suffering nightmares but extreme sleep/ seperation anxiety.

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 211 members 27,800 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: