Regular Contributor
HostTammy

Re: new stay at home mommy needs advice from the pros

Hi missbrittany,

Wondering how all those household chores are going:smileyhappy: I am giggling as I sit here and look around at what needs to be done and all my daughter wants to do is be held.

Hope you are adjusting to being supermom!

Tammy

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
korryortiz

I been a SAHM since my daughter was born..shes 4...shes my only right now,but heres a few things i learned while being at home with her...

MEAL PLAN...if your worried about cooking meals while juggling kids...meal plan! after they are all in bed..sit down,get a piece of paper and bust out cook books or your computer and meal plan...i normally do 2 weeks at a time..sometimes if im feeling crazy or on a roll i do a whole MONTH at a time :smileytongue:...but doing 1 week at a time is good too! to make it easier,find meals that you can use the same ingrediants! you'll buy less(which means less errands with kids) and you can even use some of the left overs for other meals...sometimes on monday i will crockpot a whole chicken..then we'll have various chicken recipes for the rest of the week :smileyhappy: since i meal plan im able to see what we ate the week before so we dont repeat...nothing i hate more then eating the same thing in a month..lol..im the picky one in the fam lol

CLEANING by room by hour or day...dont try to keep the whole place clean every day..its not possible!..but it doesnt mean to not clean either lol...now that my daughter is in preK(only for 3 hours) it gives me alittle more time to throw a few loads of laundry in and clean up a few of our rooms (living/dining/kitchen,etc)

but before she went to preK she would play in her room while i would clean a room(living/dining/kitchen/bathroom..whatever needed it the most)..i told her she needed to play in her room for a hour or so while i cleaned...she got used to this rutine on a daily bases so it got easier to clean the house with her in it.....if things get real crazy and she wont stay in her room i bust out my old Iphone..which i loaded with apps and games for her..lol..its my "emergancy" back up..lol

either which..take it day by day and see what works for you and your new growing family...its all different for everyone:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Visitor
mlynnsoucy

[ Edited ]

Involve them whenever possible! It will be frustrating as everything you do will take you 10x longer, and will take time, but once they get the hang of it, your chores will become fun for them! My 16 month old helps me clean every day.

Squirt bottles (with water in them) and unused sponges are great while you're dusting, or cleaning the counters.

Let them try out the vacuum, and push around the mop and broom. I used to vacuum with my newborn sleeping soundly in a baby backpack! Those were his best naps!

Tidy up the bathroom while they're busy in the tub.

Have them help with laundry. My lil guy thinks it's funny to heave the clothes out of the dryer. Little does he know it's a huge help because he can reach in there a lot easier than I can, being 8 months pregnant!!

Make a game out of picking up toys. They'd much rather think they're shooting hoops, or running a relay race than doing work! Pretend to put their stuff away while they're watching, but put it out of reach. When they give you a hard time about hiding all their toys on the fridge, or in the top cabinets have them "show you" where it all goes.  It just takes a little encouragement from there for them to start doing it themselves so that Mom doesn't hide stuff!

If they can't help you cook, and won't stay out of the way, save tv or other attention grabbers for that time.

Pretty much the only thing I can't do with a toddler running around is load the dishwasher because he climbs in it and throws everything right back out! I do that while he's eating (strapped in his booster).

If you still have nap time in your house, take full advantage of it before the baby is born! You'll find chores that you just can't get done with the kids around, so do it then.
Most importantly...... cut yourself some slack!!!!!!!! With 3 children +1 on the way, your house will not always be spotless! It's not possible, and it's ok!

One more tip: Do not reward them for doing chores!! If you give them candy, or allowance it will teach them that they don't "have to" do anything without compensation. Dangerous consequences in the long run!! Usually making you happy, and a big pat on the back are enough for kids that young!!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jpsmommy

I'm a stay-at-home mommy to a 4 year old and almost 2 year. I've never stressed much about getting stuff done because it really never does. More just comes up if you do manage to get one list done. To do housework, I try to get it to be a game with the kids. My 2 year old loves to "help" dry dishes and can put some away, and I try to let both the boys do as much as they can on their own. My husband and I team up at night and over the weekend to get tasks done quicker, and we put limits on the time spent. We do dishes for 30 minutes together each night. If something didn't get done, it can wait until tomorrow. During the day, I will also say that cleaning is my independent time activity. That is about 30 minutes twice a day to get more done. I try to remember that I am a stay-at-home mom, not a housekeeper. I stay home with my kids because we feel it is the best way for us to care for them right now. I don't stay home to clean up after other people. We all share the responsibility of it and help each other out when needed.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
kimberlyto91583

Heyas!

I have been a SAHM since my son was born three years ago, and now we also have a little girl on the way set to debut in February. This August my son started Pre-K (he has an IEP because of a speech delay, so he got to go to pre-k a year early in an effort to improve his speech before he actually "HAS" to be in school), and I have gone back to school myself, so I have a little less time than normal, but my system helps me keep things pretty tidy. Well, at least I don't tell people to bring their own hazmat suits! Lol. When Julian (my son) was home I would try to get him involved in the chores (ie. I would spray the "windex" on the glass door and hand him a wash cloth, or have a "race" to see who could clean up the most toys in a specified time) but what really saved me was a "cleaning calendar" I found on pintrest.  I tweaked it to fit my house since the only dishwasher I have are the two attched to my wrist, and I moved my "chore of the day" from "Night Time" and instead do it during Julian's "nap time".

f3949676e2ef0fe6043d67c8798c40c9.jpg

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jktriplett08

Why do you all feel the need to distinguish between "your" children and your "step" children? Its weird. Just say the ages, does it really matter which is which?

Please use plain text.
ModChristine

I tend to say it (stepson) in certain posts because otherwise, people ask if I have twins because the boys are so close in age.  It doesn't mean anything deep I assure you :smileyhappy:  All 3 kids are a deep part of my heart :heart:

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 7 members 394 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: