Super Contributor
LaylasMommy1014

What do you do during the day to stay sane?

Hello everyone!

I used to take care of children for 7 years (my first and only job i've ever had, started at age 17!) before I got pregnant with DD, and then quit my job to be a SAHM until she turns 14 months in January 2014. I am also a college student, which staying at home now I thought would make doing homework and assignments easier, but MAN was I wrong.

My DD is 8 months and super active and has been since birth, very alert and curious about the world around her. We usually go outside when she gets super fussy, because she loves to look at everything. And she loves our dogs too, so usually when she isnt chasing them all over the apartment, we take her outside with them so all of us are out of the house. However, I live in Florida and anyone who lives here knows that the weather here during the summer is either sweltering heat and humidity and 100+ heat index most days or its raining and thunderstorming. Either of which, do not make for fun times with baby.

We do go swimming at our pool, but layla isnt that fond of that so we arent out long.

What do you do to entertain your LO when you can't get outside? And what do you do to keep your own sanity when all else fails and you are beyond stressed? Sometimes I feel absolutely alone, and my husband thinks that what I do here at the house is a cake walk..when in reality, its difficult. He has no idea..don't get me wrong, he is a wonderful father; just clueless on what an everyday by yourself with baby routine is really like.

I guess im looking more for input on how do you other SAHM's keep your sanity! :smileyhappy:

♥ Brie ♥
My NFP Chart
Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
**Kasey.. 01/07/2003-12/24/2012. You were my heart, my soul, and my whole world, cancer may have taken you from me, but you'll never be forgotten. I have your pawprints forever on my heart.**
Please use plain text.
lsaunderson

Re: What do you do during the day to stay sane?

[ Edited ]

Did you doctor not recommend a Mother's group for you? In Australia we are contacted a few weeks after birth by a local maternity nurse that looks after and checks in on all new mothers they set up a weekly mothers group.

I found that my saving grace.

I have seen that there are lots od mother's groups advertising on the internet.

If you are US based try

http://www.themommiesnetwork.org

It will conect you with local mothers, who I bet are in the same situation as you :smileyhappy:

When I moved to the US I became very lonely as my son was older and people my age already have friends and the Americans I live around are just not friendly. But I did find a few mums through networks like these, you just need to put yourself out there:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
ModChristine

Girl, I know what you are going through!  First off, you know that song "Mr. Mom"?  Sometimes I think many Dads might need to experience that once or twice to truly appreciate what we do as SAHM's lol.  When my son was younger, I joined MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) here in my town.  They had meetings once a month and official scheduled playdates/outings once a month.  But, once I met many other SAHM's we would get together much more often than that.  I was reluctant at first leaving my son with the church nursery while we met once a month but he grew to love it and it was 2 hours of kid-free sanity time with other Moms.  Food, fellowship, laughs etc. I even ended up meeting my best friend there and here we are 9 years later.  That would be one of my suggestions.  The other is to try and find any alone time you can.  Maybe it's during her nap.  Do you what enjoy...read, craft, exercise, watch tv, play on parents.com (lol) or anything that just relaxes you and makes you feel more like yourself.  I live in the South so I feel your pain of the heat and doing outside activites with young ones.  Do any of your malls have indoor play areas?  Ours does and it's free and the kids used to love to go there. Hope this helps! :smileywink:

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
joygcoupons

EXERCISE!!! It’s good for us physically in so many ways. It releases “feel good” chemicals in our brain. Even better if you can exercise outside!  Yoga is great too. It is exercise, but I know many Mommas that do it just for the relaxation and mental break. Try to exercise everyday it keeps your self together.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
HostTammy

It's so nice to see that other stay at home moms know exactly what you are feeling and going through:smileyhappy:

Some days are harder than others and then there seem to be weeks at a time where you might lose your mind! I have been there!

One thing I do is rotate toys, take all of your child's toys and divide them into three piles. Hide two piles away and when she seems bored with one pile, pull out the next pile and let her play with those for a few weeks.

Explore with her and some finger paint. Get a big paper and put on the kitchen floor and let her get all craxy with the paint. throw her in the tub after and sit with her there while she plays. If you only put a few inches of water in the tub, she has enough to play with while you get some reading done (as long as you are sitting right there next to her)

I know it's hard at times, but I have found that if I spend the first half of the day playing and keeping kids busy, the other half is a little easier.

Don't forget that this time is just a small amount of time when you look at the big picture. Before you know it she will be grown and you will have more time than you know what to do with. Some things even have to be put on the back burner.

Take care and hang in there!

Tammy

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
joygcoupons

try yoga... my mother-in-law sent me a DVD... I always feel good after all the sweat and stretching... you can also try writing notes before and after going to bed... good notes... me, everytime I wake up a graba pen and paper and I write 3 thing I am most grateful of.  It's making me feel good and keep my sanity in shape.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
katty71952

Hello, I live in South Florida so I know the summer weather...so hot and humid!! What to do with a little baby when that happens!? I used to take mine to malls that have playgrounds inside, or a train or some place they can walk safely! Babies love routines, my baby and I go to this great park in Boca Raton almost every day!! I dont know where you live but you have to search for a great park where your child can walk around and exercise her motor skills!! Good luck :smileyhappy:
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 12 members 8,352 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: