New Contributor
katierp122812

Stay at home Mom, Need help from Experienced MOM's with ideas when raining outside...

I'm a first time Mother and I'm learn just as much as my daughter who's 19 months, as she grows up.  Her attention span is about 2 seconds, and I have no idea on what to do with her when it's raining outside.  I don't want her to be stuck watching T.V. all day (which she doesn't), or screaming when she's bored with her toys that she's already played with. 

I thought I would be great for this age, but I realized that I'm just so lost when it comes down to a 2 second span and I guess I'm thinking too hard. lol...Please from experence Mothers out there help me...  :smileyhappy: 

Thanks Katie!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

Re: Stay at home Mom, Need help from Experienced MOM's with ideas when raining outside...

My kids really like going out and playing in the rain (then we come in and all take a shower together). We color, sing, play ring a round the rosies, wrestle. And of course we watch some TV. The kids began helping around the house at that age too. Your toddler is big enough she can help with laundry, putting away dishes, dusting, helping clean the floor or walls, vacuuming, etc.

Please use plain text.
graysharbormom

Re: Stay at home Mom, Need help from Experienced MOM's with ideas when raining outside...

We have a lot of rain, so I've got a lot of go-to ideas!

Something you might try is to get a plastic bin and dump in a bag of either dried rice, beans or peas, what every you have on hand. Then give them a measure spoon, cookie cutter, funnel plastic cup or bowl and let them go wild pouring and scooping. it's great for developing motor activity and occupies for awhile!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
katierp122812

Thanks so much!!! I need as much help as I can! I actually grew up to fast so I have no idea on great activities.  My husband is a huge kid :smileyhappy: but he works lol.  Thanks again! 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
katierp122812

I had no idea about that? Thanks

Please use plain text.
writetanyaj1

Oh you have just described the last year of my life~!

Here is what i have managed to come up with

1- Go out in the rain! You wont melt and as long as its not intense downpour and she is budnled pretty well its actually a must in my book!

2- camping: we go in my daughters room lights off curtains closed and use flashlights and camp which consists of me sitting there and her playing and talking in her baby talk...but shes happy so im happy

3- Have her help you with chores sort the recycling [ie pick up put in box or bag what have you] i use paper bags as they stand freely and set the bottles beside the bag and tell her help me and pick up put in and she loves it. sorting laudry my daughter loves to help with this one, i would make her push and pull the laundry basket around and her high chair as well just to get energy burned!

4- make cookies or play dough something that will result in her assisting abd being successful- for a toddler yes you simplify it so my daughter would pour the flour and such in the bowl and stir it around with the whisk to mix it. add the liquids i blend and then we put them on teh cookie sheet. show her the finished product and tada! or with play dough once it's mixed give my daughter the bowl and elt her play on kitchen floor and make a mess of her own desire then clean up when shes played with it for a while.

5- you could have her go up and down steps [if she does so with ease now] this was always my energy killer and it helps with coordination.

6- in the summertime my favorite as it kept my daughter cool [this i used on days when i didn't feel well or couldn't get outside for one reason or another] take a big bunch of sponges cut into different shapes and put them in a big tupperwear and add enough water to wet them and a bit extra for play and let my daughter play on the kitchen floor and squeeze and also stack them she loved this kept her cool for quite some time this summer. 

but you don't have to constantly keep her entertained 24 hrs a day it is good to have times where she is free to play on her own and develop the ability to play on her own as well. all kids progress diffrently so im not sure if she's ready for some downtime on her own to play in your opinion but my daughters therapists through early intervention stressed this to me constantly. so i didn't pressure myself to strcture the day like a preschool would i just tried to introuduce new things and allow her to also play alone as well.

Hope any of this helps you with new ideas!

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 6 members 223 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: