she72973

New Mommy Needs Advice ASAP!

Hi everyone! Been YEARS since I posted, my son is now almost 12. However my daughter just had a baby a few days ago. Yes, I'm a new Grandma. Anyway, I told her to join this message board. She is a SAHM. Here is her delimma:

Her baby has trouble sleeping. Not for more than 1 hour at a time. It's been a while for me, so can some of you newer moms help with advice on how to get him to sleep more than an hour at a time? I am going over to help her soon, but I will be checking back off & on here. 

TIA!!! 

She72973 a.k.a. Shannon Carter

Please use plain text.
ModChristine

Re: New Mommy Needs Advice ASAP!

Hi Shannon! What is baby's feeding schedule like? Is baby waking to feed?
~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
HostTammy

First, congratulations to both you and your daughter:smileyhappy:

It sounds to me like baby might need to be reminded that night time is for sleeping and day time is for eating.

To do this there are a few little tricks you can try. First, don't let baby sleep for more than three hours at a time during the day. When you feed him during the day, make sure he is awake and actively eating, not falling asleep at the breast or bottle.

Try to feed baby often during the day. If he wakes up during the night, try to comfort him without food and see if he will go back to sleep. If he doesn't go back to sleep, feed him but don't let him fall asleep while eating. Put him back in crib while he is still a little bit awake.

This can be tricky but if you stick with it, it will work.

Try small things to stimulate baby during the day. Try and get feeding and bed time on a schedule. Having meals and bedtime the same time every day helps baby learn what is expected of him and helps you know what baby expects of you and when:smileyhappy:

Hope that helps a little.
Tammy
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
HostTammy

Hi Shannon,

Just checking in to see how you are doing:smileyhappy:

Tammy

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Kikiohara

You can try swaddling if you're not or at the other end of the spectrum is skin on skin contact. Those first days are hard. I would say it gets easier but it's more of a roller coaster anyway. When they finally stop putting stuff in their mouths they start peeing anywhere but the potty or coloring on the walls and under the rug
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Kikiohara

If you already swaddle the baby maybe it could be getting too hot when sleeping and wake up uncomfortable. My son didn't sleep for more than 2 hrs at a time for the first month but had 1 time going 5 1/2 hrs at 2 months.
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mlg1231

For the first year of my first daughter's life, she wouldn't sleep for more than 30 minutes. I think I saw it on Oprah? Maybe? Anyway, it was the Sleep Lady. I got her book, "Goodnight Sleep Tight, The Sleep Lady's Guide..." And followed it to the letter! After a week and a half of following the book, my one year old was sleeping 7 pm to 7 am plus three good naps during the day. The book is more than just sleep. She discusses how important schedules are to children of every age, including when they eat. And if you look at it, it's a fairly thick book, but the first few pages are for everyone to read and explain her and the technique, etc, and then you skip to the section for the age of the child. You don't actually read the WHOLE book. There's also a section on adult sleeping.
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 417 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: