Occasional Contributor
silks52

Homeschooling - to co-op or not to co-op?

Has anyone here joined a co-op or do you plan to?

I'm a pretty conservative Christian, I think a co-op can be good, especially if you don't otherwise have access to a variety of activity options, but I don't think they are necessary either.

For me, the point of homeschooling isn't so much to be home. I want to give my daughter the best education possible, whether that is in my home or outside of it. I think supplementary activities can have a great value in education, if they fit in with your values. Would love to hear other opinions...

Educational Toys
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
LaylasMommy1014

Re: Homeschooling - to co-op or not to co-op?

I was homeschooled throughout my highschool years, and hated it. I missed out on so much in the social aspect. My brother was homeschooled from 3-12th grade, and is very socially awkward because he didn't have much interaction with anyone but family.  We used Lighthouse Christian Academy (the ones who developed the ACE program).

Where I lived in TN, there was no homeschooling co ops or support groups, except about 3 hours away.. and my county did not support homeschooling so there really wasnt a way to start one either.

Alot of places just simply don't have that option available. I think the idea is good, because it allows the children to interact with other individuals, but i do believe that they would still be missing out on developing key social skills that comes from interacting on a daily basis with other individuals. I understand too that times have changed and social media has made the normal teenage drama so much more cruel and homeschooling protects them from that (as well as crazy loons who go into schools and do bad things) but I don't see how a small co-op group is going to help socially either.. I'm curious to see if someone can explain co ops a little better :smileyhappy:

♥ Brie ♥
My NFP Chart
Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
**Kasey.. 01/07/2003-12/24/2012. You were my heart, my soul, and my whole world, cancer may have taken you from me, but you'll never be forgotten. I have your pawprints forever on my heart.**
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 1,295 members 139,745 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: