Visitor
selina_holesinsky

Children's diet

Hello everyone! 

I am an Austrian mom living in California and I have a 5 year old boy. Although I try to live healthy and put a lot of thought into my boys diet he gained quite a few pounds over the past few months. We have dinner and lunch together everyday and he doesn't eat too much or too many sweets. 

How do you guys manage your childrens diets? Do you have a plan of what your kid should / shouldn't eat? Proteins etc... Do you measure the portions? Do you use anything that helps you with that? 

I'd be great if you could share your experiences with me!!!

Thank you very much!!! 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
HostTammy

Re: Children's diet

I wish I could be of better help but the truth is that I feed my children like I feed my cat, they all eat when they want, I just have say in what they eat.

I know that sounds silly, but it works for us. We haven't had iny issues with too much weight gain. They are all on the small side actually. I do notice that when they are about to grow, they seem to eat a bunch and gain a little before they get a little taller. Maybe your son is getting ready to grow taller?

If I were facing this, I think I would try to focus on using more energy and eating healthy foods instead of restricting foods. I have girls and I am fearful of eating disorders so it is something I try to pay close attention to yet not draw any attention to.

Tammy

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
mumsafari

I try to incorporate a balance diet into their meals. Sufficient carbo, protein and vitamin from fruits. Recently tried baking my own wholemeal buns. They love it. It's healthy and filling. Perfect!CAM00030.jpg

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
fazila00

Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
HostTammy

Did you bake those rolls? They look wonderful!

Please use plain text.
cdsiragusa1

If you're monitoring his food and he's really not over eating, then a little bit a weight gain is nothing to worry about.  He could be going through a growth spurt (or about to).  If you still think he's gaining weight too fast, then make sure he's getting more active playtime (bike rides, playing tag, etc.), but don't change his food intake.  If it's drastic weight gain (disproportionately so) then take him to the doctor.

Please use plain text.
nick_katey

I agree with what has been said. They tend to get bigger right before a growth spurt. The only thing I have to add is that they will eat as much as they need. I push my children to try new things, but never force them to clean the plate.
Posted from Generic Android
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 14 members 451 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: