northstar2702

Thanks for opening this discussion up to every Parent.

I have an 8 year old typical daughter and a 6 year old Autistic boy.  I am so proud and thrilled to see the numerous articles in this April 2014 edition.  I've been recieving Parents magazine before my eight year old was born and now I'm even more opt after these articles to say please read Parents magazine.  I'm a true believer in inclusion but I'm finding society is not quite ready for it or the schools do not have enough funding or supports for our children.  I just wish after last week the government would really try to find out what is going on with our children, new findings for Autism is now 1 in 68 children.  To me that is an epidemic and to me these articles are the start of a reality check that everyone will now know a child with disabilities.  A good friend said to me once that every child should have an IEP, which is when you get into the school district an Individual Education Plan.  I just wanted to express my biggest heart felt thank you for printing these articles.  From a very faithfull promoter of Parents magazine.  Thank you.  Colleen 

Please use plain text.
ModChristine

Re: Thanks for opening this discussion up to every Parent.

Hello Colleen :smileyhappy:  Thank you very much for your kind words!  As the Mom of a special needs child, I too am so thankful for Parents Magazine and Parents.com for their spotlight on children with special needs.

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Please use plain text.
xfsugirl11

I am also very happy that Parent magazine honored the work of special needs parents and others within it pages this April. I am also a mother of a son with mild apraxia (speech-langauge issue). I saw this issue which waiting for his hour session to be finished while watching his 2 1/2 year old brother. It felt like in places it was talking to me. Not only am I am parent of a "special needs" child, I was/am a special needs; learning disabilities. As having experiences one both sides, I am happy to see that thispublication is willing to talk openly about it. My hope is that parents of so called 'normal developing" kids will read it as well as us  and really start the discussion.

FYI: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 is Apraxia Awareness Day. For more information go to www.apraxia-kids org This is the national Chidhood Apraxia of North America web site or e-mail me at xfsugirl@yahoo.com

Stephanie

mother of 2 wonderful boys

Please use plain text.
ModChristine

I'm so glad you enjoyed the issue!  :smileyhappy:

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 22 members 1,793 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: