ModChristine

Different types of therapy

[ Edited ]
Right now my daughter is receiving speech, occupational and physical therapy. She started all of these at age 4 months and she's about to turn 6 years old. Unfortunately, there aren't any other types of pediatric therapies where I live. I've longed to have her in horse therapy (hippotherapy) and possibly water therapy for her weak muscles but none of that is available near us. Just curious if your child receives any of these other types of therapy and how he/she has responded to it.
~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ahatfield587

Re: Different types of therapy

My son is 4 and has been receiving hippotherapy with his Occupational therapy for about a year now (a half hour of traditional OT and a half hour of hippotherapy once a week). It has really helped him with strengthening his core and with receiving the sensory feedback that he needs. They also do many exercises that help with his coordination (like throwing bean bags into the holes on a board). An added bonus is that he really looks forward to going to OT and it breaks up his routine of more traditional therapies. I feel really blessed that we have this opportunity and I highly recommend it if you ever get the chance to take your daughter to one!
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
ModChristine

Thank you for your reply! I really think my daughter would love it and benefit from it. Maybe we can find a place this summer to take her to. We would have to travel a minimum to an hour and a half to any hippotherapy facility. I'm glad your son is doing so well in it :smileyhappy:
~ Christine ~
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
Contributor
firstschool01

As a parent, you have a big task to help your young manage the situation and make proper use of it.  One such common issue is anger issue among kids. With the use of art and music, you can help your child express his or her emotions. Organize both indoor and outdoor games for them. With the use of the game as a point of discussion, you can now better understand what your kid feels and experiences.

Please use plain text.
ModChristine

My now 6 year old daughter didn't speak until shortly after she turned 5.  It is amazing how much this has reduced her tantrums and frustration.  She did signing but still got extremely frustrated at not being able to communicate all of her needs. 

~ Christine ~
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

Christine while you might not be able to find a hippotherapy barn near you, you might be able to find a vaulting team. Many of them are run on a volunteer basis but some of the coaches also offer private one on one stuff. My sister did hippotherapy volunteering with a team in CA over the summer when she was 17 and almost all teams are equipped to offer it, even if it isn't an actual official part of their barn offerings. As a riding instructor I've also worked with a few kids that don't need as much assistance in riding too, we have a couple kids who come for hippotherapy that need more assistance and they use the vaulting team's equipment and horse from our barn as well. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mickerme1

My son was diagnosed with autism just shy of 18 months.  Fortunately, he is on the "high functioning" end of the spectrum.  Nevertheless, he receives physical therapy, speech therapy and ABA therapy.  I cannot begin to express the importance of such therapies!  Now nearly 3, the improvements I've seen in him are incredible and immeasurable! 

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 25 members 1,888 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: