Occasional Contributor
nlangdon23

Help! Pelvic pain @ 16 weeks

[ Edited ]
Hi all, I am in my 16th week of pregnancy and for the past 3 weeks I have had increasing pelvic pain. I called the Dr and was rushed in to be told that the muscles connecting my pubic bone and uterus were stretching and my pelvis was misaligned. To help out the Dr said to sleep with a pillow in between my legs. She said this is typically a little early for this to happen but it's ok. Also, I was told to cut back on exercise except for some prenatal yoga :0(. However, the day after doing yoga, I was in even more pain. The more I thought about my symptoms I looked it up and there's something called SPD (symphysis pubis dysfunction). It says that the pain will most likely go away after the baby is born. But that's 5 1/2 months away!!!!! Anyone have any advice or has anyone been through this? Please help! Thank you so much.

Also, how does this originate? Could it have been anything I did (I.e. Exercise)?

Nicole
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
HostTammy

Re: Help! Pelvic pain @ 16 weeks

Hi There,

I know exactly what you are talking about and the pain is horrible. Only your doctor can diagnose this.

I had this happen during my second and third pregnancy. During the third pregnancy It was so horrible that there seemed to be nothing I could do to to get the pain to stop. The doctor wasn't much help either. He would just tell me that things will feel much better after baby is here.

Once baby arrived, the pain was less severe. It took a few months to get back to normal. I have heard of it taking up to a year for things to readjust.

Hang in there and keep in close communication with your doctor about how you are feeling, he may have some advice to help you through it.

Tammy

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
nlangdon23

Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it.
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
HostTammy

I sure hope you find a way to get more comfortable!

By the way, I was talking to my mom about this because she remembers the pain I was going through and she reminded me about a friend that had gastric bypass and has the same thing happen, sort of :smileyhappy:

What happened with her is that over a long period of time she gained weight and there was a lot of pressure on her bones. When she lost the weight fast, her body didn't have the time to slowly adjust and her pelvic area cause her much pain. It eventually went away but she was told that it's not unheard of in pregnancy and gastric bypss recipients.

Interesting anyway:smileyhappy:

Tammy

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

See if your doctor can give you a referral to a physical therapist that specializes in pregnancy/ SPD. It's made a world of difference for me. I started having issues around 26 weeks with my SI joint/ SPD and could barely walk when I went in for my first appointment. My PT has managed to keep me walking all the way through and I'm full term now. You can also get a pelvic support belt that sits low around your hips and keeps the joint locked in place like it should be. My PT recommended one that she felt would be best for me and it made the biggest difference in being able to do errands, take care of my other kids, etc. I wouldn't say it made me pain free but it has made things more manageable and kept me mostly functioning. There are some things that are very difficult for me, for example pushing a grocery cart and walking seem to aggravate it the most for me.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
nlangdon23

Thank you so much for the great advice. I will mention it to my Dr at my next appt. :0)
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
courtenei07

I have the same pain every few days and was told that the uterus is stretching. Pelvis will in case cause pains that is the bone that's holding everything together. I normally sleep wit a body pillow in between my legs and after moving around a lot I prop my legs up and relax for about 15mins or so and it eases the pain.
Posted from Samsung SPH-L900
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 8 members 700 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: