ModChristine

STAAR Testing

[ Edited ]

To those that have the STAR (Standardized testing and reporting) test administered in your state...what are your thoughts on it?  My oldest son is in 5th grade and has been stressing about it all year long.  It's not the first time he's taken it but the pressure seems to get worse each time.  I have mixed feelings about the test and the fact that it is the offical document that determines a child being promoted to the next grade regardless of their grades throughout the year.  What if the child has test anxiety that week or something going on at home.  I don't know...I just hate that it's so stressful for the parents, teachers and kids.  Thoughts?

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Please use plain text.
Contributor
MrsSKbearmom

Re: STAR Testing

[ Edited ]

We have a similar test in our state, but with different acronyms. I believe it is taken by 3rd, 5th, 8th, and 11th graders. My daughter is in kindy, but the test has been around long enough that I have taken it.  I honestly have never heard anyone ever say anything good about it. In the years that it is taken, that is all the teachers focus on because the school is adament about having all students with passing scores in order to get funding and a good overall grade, which in turn effects the teachers pay. There are 2 parts to the test: math and english/grammar. All year long you are badgered with mock-tests and lessons that are soley given to help you pass the test. Which I understand is a good thing, but the stress that is put on the teachers and students often makes for an unhappy school year. The worst part is that I have heard of students being held back due to a failing grade on this standardized test even though they got good grades on all work, quizzes, and homework all year long - THAT is not right! Some kids, and even adults, do not preform well on tests, too much pressure and anxiety.  Supposedly this test will be going away in our state, but really it will just being getting a new name and will be more difficult because of the new Common Core Standards. I worry so much about my children's future when it comes to education.

Please use plain text.
ModChristine

Re: STAR Testing

Exactly my thoughts!  My son is so stressed right now knowing the testing starts tomorrow.  He is an A/B student but did not do well on the mock STAAR math test a couple of weeks ago.  He's terrified of doing bad on it and being held back. Just seems like so much pressure for the kids.

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 869 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: