New Contributor
arunvv14457

Punishment for my 5 yr old toddler

My son is a 5 yr old. He is a good listener but sometimes he doesn't listen and doesn't remember whatever we say. So I want to make him remember with some fear. Last Sunday, in this cold winter, I took him to a shopping complex and since he did some bad at that time I left him alone outside the complex, I came to my car and after few mins I went back to him and said if you do bad again I will leave you like this, so if you want your mom and dad, listen and remember what mom and dad says. I know I shouldn't have dealt like that but due to anger at that time I did like that. How to give punishments for toddlers? We tried to give him timeout, asked to put like toys in a bin and if he does good then only he can take from the bin kind of things. But still he doesn't remember few things even though we tell him everyday not to do that. How to deal for such situations? How to make him remember certain things that are important to learn?
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor
amontes11051

Re: Punishment for my 5 yr old toddler

The only way to get a 5 year old to remember things is to repeat yourself a million times. Leaving him in the car was probably really scary for him. He probably felt abandoned and alone. You have to remember that he is 5 and will only remember what you want him to remember If you repeat yourself. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
debbie39012

Re: Punishment for my 5 yr old toddler

The frustration of repetition can sometimes get the best of us!  However, that is how we learn as well as experiencing consequences.  You chose one for him.  Consequences are a part of life.  Some natural, some man caused.  I saw a great source for understanding why children do what they do at http://biblebasedparenting101.com .  The question was asked, What did Adam and Eve choose?  What would our children choose?  It is natural for children to choose something different than what we would want for them.  So we have to find a way to help them WANT to choose well.  I learned of a great program that virtually eliminates parental frustration and allows you to get what you want happily and cheerfully, the first time the child is asked. It is called the Happy Face Token System and it really does what it says it will do. (In fact, it's guaranteed.) Your child will be giving happy, first-time compliance and even ask for more ways to make you happy.  You will soon be called the best mom in the whole world and they give the effort you want.  You can find out more at these sources.  http://parentingsurvival.com and http://happyfacetokens.com

Enjoy and good luck.

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 1,311 members 201,357 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: