Occasional Visitor
kabumule1

My daughter is really worrying me

This is going to be a bit of a long story, so please bear with me.

For the past few months, I've been very worried about my daughters current state of mind. (Let's call her Anna)

First of all, Anna is very smart. Smart to the point where school doesn't challenge her. She is very well read, and has torn through my entire library of books. She's also highly artistic and often draws, and her drawings aren't just doodles. They're actual art. She tends to keep her talents to herself, as she has always felt too shy to show her peers. Aside from that, she's always seemed like a normal and happy girl and has her own little circle of friends.

But that all changed when Anna turned seven.

A few days after her birthday, I noticed she became very quiet. She was quiet before, but she legit went silent. I assumed it was nothing at first, but after a week of silence I really began to worry. To make matters worse, I spoke to her teacher and learned she went silent at school as well. She won't even speak to friends.

I noticed after this change she became more reclusive. She stayed in her room more. She attached herself to more books. She's also been playing on my piano on occasion (very well, in fact). I guess she still has some hidden talents even I don't know about...

None of her or my books are anything terrible. She likes the Ender series, Harry potter, stuff like that. Nothing inappropriate. So I don't think her reading material has anything to do with this. I always buy her new books and always ensure they are appropriate. She doesn't draw anything alarming. She's never mentioned any bullying.

She's just stopped.

At first I tried coaxing her into speaking. I would ask her questions. I would ask her if anything was wrong. She just looks at me. I know she comprehends, but she just stops expressing anything. She tends to look solemn whenever I talk, and her eyes have become rather...piercing. I feel like she's looking right through me whenever she looks at me.

After that, I attempted ignoring it. I still instigated conversation but stopped acknowledging the lack of speech. I forced myself to act normal. But she's not responding and I'm going crazy.

She's began writing to me and her teachers for when she needs to communicate, but still won't say a word. She shows very little emotion. She doesn't laugh or smile or even cry anymore.

I've searched the Internet and a few things sound close (autism and progressive mutism seem the closest) but she doesn't seem to really fit into those. The change was so drastic and I have absolutely no clue what triggered it. Her life has always been normal and she and I have always been close. So I truly don't understand this sudden change.

My last hope now is therapy. As much as I hate having to put my little girl through it, I am so afraid she will miss out on so much if I don't help her now.

So are there any parents who have dealt with this? What can I expect? And what can I do to help her?
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Contributor
VLCenter

Re: My daughter is really worrying me

That's a real worrying thing for you and your family. I would say, why don't you plan a trip to somewhere, a whole family trip and get some quality time to spend with her and make her mingle and enjoy it with lots of fun. She just need to get the feel of fun with some activities away from what she has been doing all the day long for months. Maybe this would change her outlook into whole new perspective. Hope this helps you!!!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
littlenonibatik

Hi! I think you need to axt very soon. Maybe bring her to a professional? Do you think somebody might harm her or aomething that she doesn't want to share? Since this is a very sudden change, so i think something very big may have happened to her.
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
charberk

Is there _any_ chance that your daughter could have been sexually molested and ordered by the perpetrator not to tell? Maybe even threatened about what would happen if she didn't "keep her mouth shut"? If I were in your position, I would take her to the best child psychiatrist or psychologist I could find. Something terrible has happened here. My heart goes out to you and your daughter. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
firstschool01

It is really a matter of concern. I can understand your state of mind. You must talk to a behavioral analyst and take their advise. May be your daughter need a change. Don't waste more time. This is the most crucial time for her to express herself and doing something creative. Hope she will get well soon....

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
graceland1313

My daughter did the same thing, and she was 5 years old at the time. Turned out she shut her self down. I took her to many doctors, and found out that it was her that had to bring herself back. I just went about our life, and no matter what she did it was okay. The only time I corrected her was if she was in danger of harming herself, then I would stop her, other wise she was treated lovingly. I talked to her as if she was talking back to me. Three years went by before she started talking again. She is an adult now and doing well.
Please use plain text.
Visitor
lenorestamm

sounds like your daughter has Selective Mutism - it can appear at this age.
Seek the help of a Speech-Language Pathologist, or contact ASHA.org
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 1,609 members 194,629 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: