Occasional Contributor
drtics

My 5 year old daughter will NOT sleep in her own bed... HELP!

My 5 year old daughter refuses to sleep in her own bed at night. It has become a regular battle over the past few months, crying uncontrollably aka meltdown. This results to her finding her way into our bed at night, whether it be us giving in or simply waking up to her chirpy smile in the morning. I need some helpful and loving tips/techniques to help aid us in this matter. Thank you.
Becky
Blessed mama of 2 amazing kids:smileyhappy:
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
jenhubbard781

Re: My 5 year old daughter will NOT sleep in her own bed... HELP!

Stand firm and stay consistant. when she comes in your room keep picking her up and putting her back in her own room. she will give in eventually. I had to do the same with mine. Stand your ground. tell her you love her but she has to sleep in her own bed. don't give up. never give up. its hard.. very very hard... and it will wear you out.. but don't give up. keep putting her in her own bed over and over.. good luck!

Please use plain text.
darmd2010

If you can sit in there with her until she falls asleep but make sure she lays down to bed every night at the same time. Routine is your best friend and you will have to sit it out. If she falls asleep in there even if she wakes up and gets in your bed eventually she will sleep there all night. It took me 2 years of doing it but now my son sleeps in his own bed.
Posted from Samsung GT-I9300
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
redneckgirl2104

Our 4 year old has slept in our room since she was an infant and the recent transition to her own room was similar to yours but now she sleeps in her room thanks to us reading stories, saying prayers and we also got her a lava lamp to watch and keep on during the night! She sometimes still comes up to our room in the middle of the night but I carry her back and tell her she's "the best big girl in her big girl room and to have sweet dreams and we'll see you in the morning." It takes time and patience but you gotta stand your ground! :smileyhappy:
Posted from Nokia Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mishibdoll

Tell her if she wants to sleep in your room she's going to have to stay on the floor. Eventually she'll just be uncomfortable and go sleep in her own comfy big girl bed!
Posted from Google Nexus 4
Please use plain text.
jennnin

[ Edited ]

My daughter did the same thing...we had the bedtime fairy (tooth fairy's sister) come and leave notecards with a count of how many days she had slept in her own bed. Once she had gone 45 days, she got a gift. Sometimes she got a little thing from like Target's dollar bin and stuff, but she loved it. She's 8 now and in her own bed! It was a fun incentive. Yes, there were nights where she cried, and flipped, but most nights she was anxious to see what was going to be under her pillow the next morning. All the while I encouraged her as well. I was making cards every night...but I had fun with it! Lots of fairy dust (ultra fine glitter). It's everywhere now again...lol...good luck!  IMG_3444.JPGIMG_3450.JPGIMG_3448.JPGIMG_3445.JPG

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mishibdoll

That's adorable!
Posted from Google Nexus 4
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 195 members 24,771 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: